First Time Hatching....Round 2

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I agree, if you think she really does want to help (and isn't just being spiteful) find a way for her to help. If you can afford one, those little dome incubators are super cute.

Okay, I candled the eggs this morning. Its day 4.
I can see veins in the eggs that have shells of white or light brown.
I can see an airsac in a few of the others.
Unfortunately I cant identify anything but the yolk floating around inside the green and brown eggs.
How long can I wait before any eggs explode?
When should I candle again to be sure?
Thanks again for any advice.
Appreciate it.

i think that people are typically candling at day four, seven, and fourteen.
maybe eighteen too, just before you lockdown

i think unless any of your eggs smell, is leaking or weeping, hold off on getting rid of them

at least wait until you've candled at day seven

All of my eggs are from barred rock hens and they are pretty dark. I don't think you're going to see much at 4 days...definitely don't discard anything at this stage. Way too early. I only candled on Day 10 and then at lockdown on Day 18. At day 10 you'll definitely should see veining and hopefully the embryo bouncing around in there. And you'll be able to tell the infertile ones that are clear. I pulled those and then didn't candle again until lockdown. Hope this helps and good luck to you!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
They should be here today or tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers for today! I also have 12 saved up from my hens that I think I am going to give to my big broody cochin
big_smile.png
It will be her first time hatching eggs, I hope she does well. She has been on the nest day and night for 2 days now. I am still debating on separating her or not. I am at least going to try and move her to a large dog crate in the run, hope it works.

Added to the 9 BR turkey eggs set last week. So now the LG is completely full, 12 Mille Fluer D'uccle and 8 BO from our own flock, also we were able to purchase 12 BLRW hatching eggs from a local breeder. So a total of 41 eggs.
We also candled the BR eggs while we were setting the others. I'm afraid they are not going to be a huge success. About half looked clear with no sign of developement. I left them in and will check next week, then removing the duds.
How's everyone elses looking? Everyone has seemed to be quite for a few days.

how's everyone else doing? i'm pretty excited, and having a hard time waiting.
come on chickies come out a play.

last night i candled a few at about 100 hours, saw some promising signs.

have one egg with a crack in the shell at the air sack side. it's got some scotch tape on it and i'm watching it carefully for signs of weeping or leaking. seems to developing at this time.

Back
Top Bottom