First time incubator - Day 1 for Silkie eggs

d_rooster

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
North Augusta, SC
Last night I started six Silkie eggs in a Little Giant still air incubator w/auto egg turner to which I've added a digital hygrometer, Water Wiggler, and an alligator clip on the control knob for easier temp adjustment.

I had a stable 99.5 F. temp reading on the inside of the Water Wiggler before putting the eggs into the incubator. After putting the room temp eggs in the 'bator the temp dropped to about 97.3 F. and slowly crept back to 98 point something by 2 a.m. I'm assuming the temporary initial drop in temp is normal because of the new load in the 'bator.

With minor temp control adjustments, the 'bator is now back up to a 99.5 F. reading inside the Water Wiggler, although thermometer built into the hygrometer reads 102 F. for air temp inside 'bator. Humidity level is hovering at about 62%. From reading other's post, it sounds like I'm within tolerance levels or maybe just a little high on the humidity. Although from what I can gather these inexpensive hygrometers aren't the most accurate things in the world.

I'm so excited about these eggs. I was up to 2 a.m. hovering over the 'bator to make sure the temps didn't overshoot. Then back up at 7 a.m. for another temp check, slept till 9 a.m., then back to the 'bator again. Hopefully, I'll become less anxious as the days progress. Otherwise I'll be needing some anxiety medication by day 21.
smile.png

I gave the other six Silkie eggs to "Broody Betty" my buff cochin bantam who couldn't be broken easily from her broodiness. Betty seems much calmer and more confident than me.
smile.png

~Donald in North Augusta, SC
http://dad-who-spins.blogspot.com/

you dont have to worry too much about temp and humidity. Do hens not get off the nest and eat and drink? there can be lots of flux there, am i right? everyone make such a big deal about being just perfect that they forget that nature is never perfect and everything seems to work out perfect, doesnt it?

Last edited:
Yes, silkiechicken, I have another vent hole that I could open on top of the incubator. I'll try that.

I had trouble getting the humidity above 40% in the beginning with just the inner well in the center bottom filled, so I filled all available water wells in the bottom with pre-heated distilled water. That got things going nicely.

The incubator temp seems to be holding pretty consistently. Now I get to play the waiting game and do the countdown. As a distraction from the incubator watching, I have been giving my adult chickens some more attention and fun today. I had a couple of bales of straw in their pens that I spread out for them to scratch in. I saw some little creepy crawlies in the straw and the chickens were going crazy. I just took them some afternoon treats of leftover cooked rice and some hamburgers that got a little overdone for human tastes. I still love my big chickens as much as I did when they were little balls of fluff.

I think bunch-a-chickens is correct about nature not being perfect and things still turning out okay, or at least as intended. I think that in nature "the flux" is part of the process that eliminates the weak or marginal offspring early on. However, I'm still guilty along with many others who obsess over the variables when attempting to reproduce a natural process in an artificial environment. I work in a science research lab and there's a big emphasis placed on controlling as many variables as possible to get reliable results. It's hard to shake that desire to control stuff.

So far I've not noticed my hen, Betty, taking any measurements or recording any data with her six eggs, or is she?. She can probably feel what is the right temperature with her bottom and she's keeping a mental checklist of egg positions for turning purposes. Betty might be smarter than I thought.

~Donald in SC

Yes, silkiechicken, I have another vent hole that I could open on top of the incubator. I'll try that.

I had trouble getting the humidity above 40% in the beginning with just the inner well in the center bottom filled, so I filled all available water wells in the bottom with pre-heated distilled water. That got things going nicely.

The incubator temp seems to be holding pretty consistently. Now I get to play the waiting game and do the countdown. As a distraction from the incubator watching, I have been giving my adult chickens some more attention and fun today. I had a couple of bales of straw in their pens that I spread out for them to scratch in. I saw some little creepy crawlies in the straw and the chickens were going crazy. I just took them some afternoon treats of leftover cooked rice and some hamburgers that got a little overdone for human tastes. I still love my big chickens as much as I did when they were little balls of fluff.

I think bunch-a-chickens is correct about nature not being perfect and things still turning out okay, or at least as intended. I think that in nature "the flux" is part of the process that eliminates the weak or marginal offspring early on. However, I'm still guilty along with many others who obsess over the variables when attempting to reproduce a natural process in an artificial environment. I work in a science research lab and there's a big emphasis placed on controlling as many variables as possible to get reliable results. It's hard to shake that desire to control stuff.

So far I've not noticed my hen, Betty, taking any measurements or recording any data with her six eggs, or is she?. She can probably feel what is the right temperature with her bottom and she's keeping a mental checklist of egg positions for turning purposes. Betty might be smarter than I thought.

~Donald in SC

I've hatched out several batches of Silkie chicks & I use a forced air incubator which is a digital 48 capacity that has a removable auto turner. The readings in most incubators are never going to be accurate 100% especially this one so I find it an absolute must to purchase a good reputable hydrometer & keep an extra one on hand in case the other stops working for whatever reason. This is recommended for every incubator no matter how reputable you may assume it is. Never ever take for granted that your incubator readings are accurate. This can mean the difference between life & death if not caught in time especially with Silkies. I also use the styrofoam top & bottom to insulate. So if yours comes packaged in a styrofoam box that has the holes cut out for ventilation by all means use it. It's great insulation. On each open side on top of styrofoam for my particular incubator I place a thick dish towel inside each. I can tell you by losing several batches what the "happy medium" temp & humidity is for us here in central Texas. Location makes a difference as well. I start out at only 30% humidity only adding 1/4 cup in only two channels. Then after day 10 I add another 1/4 cup in two more channels that brings it up to 50% after I candle for first time then on day 17 I add 1/4 cup of water to remaining channels not adding any additional to the others since there will still be a small amount water remaining in there. This will bring the humidity up to between 60%- to 65%. I shoot for 60% but never more than 65%. I shoot for 99°-100° for each batch 99.5° is the optimum goal. Anything more than 100° is pushing it. They're small eggs & cannot handle it very long over 100°. I only candle twice. Day 10 then discard infertile &/or quitters. Then on day 17 is the final candling. There's no need for more than 2 candlings since opening the incubator while embryos are still growing causes more harm than good especially since Silkies are so delicate & die before there fully formed. I lockdown all my Silkie eggs on day 17 until hatch because they can start pipping as early as day 19. NOTE: When adding water to the channels use warm water no more than 100° since it will bring the temp down. U should do this very quickly barely opening the incubator. I use a large Turkey baster! Works perfectly. Many incubators come with a small hole in the back & that is fine to but I prefer to have even distribution. Just my preference. Frequent opening any incubators can fluctuate temp & humidity & it's not necessary or recommended period. I can tell you from prior experiences. No matter how anxious you are never jeopardize the embryos that are still growing inside by frequently opening the incubator. As long as your temperature doesn't drop below 98° for longer than 2 hours at any given time you should have a successful hatch.
These are merely my Silkie experiences to a 90% or higher successful hatch. There will always be that one or two or more that are infertile or despite how perfect you were in keeping temp & humidity at bay you may still have one or two blood rings or quitters. Blood rings happen for a few reasons but the two main reasons are temp being to high for to long or to low for to long or humiduty to high or to low, etc. Purchasing the correct hydrometer is of the most importance. Check out reviews & if they don't have a 5 star then do not take any chances. The cheap ones are exactly that. You get what you pay for. Hope everything works for you & you have many successful hatches. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to message me. I check about 3x a week.
Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom