First time orpington mama adopting attempt!

tacothechicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
Hey guys! So tonight my yearling buff Orp Lemon, finally went Broody! Thing is we're getting a large batch of hatchery chicks mail orders for arrival the 6-7th this next week. My Cochin we gave chicks 8 days into brooding but if we give them to her night of she'll only be about 5 days into Broody mode and chicks would be 2-3 days old at most if I'm 'mathing' right(they hatch the 4th). Its also about 20 chicks(if everyone arrives safely, fingers crossed) so I figure I may give her 10 and brooder raise 10 as she's covering 13 eggs no problem as we speak.Should give her less babies due to inexperience? All my past buffs have been AMAZING moms but they'd all hatched their chicks personally. and I've never had hens whith more than 4 chicks at a time so I'm curious as to how I should set this up but we'll see how it goes! I'll post again when the babies arrive :D
20190129_102739.jpg
20190129_102739.jpg

Oops the pic double posted XD. I put in fresh straw for cleanliness but I fear My polish 'tweens' are too fascinated by the new nest material and it may cause issues :/

Back
Top Bottom