First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Question for anyone with experience on the matter:

If I feed the chicken feet to my dog like many people on here suggest, will he become tempted to go after my live chickens' feet in the future? He's often outside with my laying hens in the yard and does not bother them at all, but I don't want any problems in the future. Or are dogs too simple to make the association? I just wonder about the scent.
It hasn't been that way in my experience. I dehydrate all the chicken feet and give them to my dog as treats. She absolutely loves them, but has never gone after a chicken since eating them.

It hasn't been that way in my experience. I dehydrate all the chicken feet and give them to my dog as treats. She absolutely loves them, but has never gone after a chicken since eating them.
Thank you! Good to know. Have you ever tried giving them raw? That was what I was gonna do. I do have a small dehydrator machine though. I wonder if that would work.

WEEK SEVEN UPDATE

Let's begin with story time.

Every morning at dawn I let the meaties out of their tractor while I move it and change their water. I place the feed where I'm about to move the tractor, they follow, and then I place the feed in the tractor to get them back in. They seem to go where the feed goes so it hasn't been an issue, and I think it's good for them to walk around.

Well this morning I did just that, and they were all gathered around the feeder. I walked to the spigot to fill their waterer and as I walked back, I saw a strange looking figure on the ground about a foot from the feeder - like one of the chickens but deformed or something. Keep in mind, it was still pretty dark at this point. As I got closer, it was one of the chickens was flipped on it's back and it couldn't get back up!!! :eek: I was shocked! I have no clue how this chicken landed itself in the predicament in the 30 seconds I was away, but I'm glad it happened while I was out there. Maybe it tried to flutter up a little and fell backwards? No idea. But all I know is these things are HUGE!

-----------------------------

Anyway, they all still seem generally healthy. They do seem to lay around a lot more now. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "leg issues", but they tend to just walk a few steps and then lay down. I don't see any limping or anyone who can't get up, but they do waddle around and it does seem they are getting close to being too heavy for their legs to support. I'm starting to feel a little sorry for them in that respect.

We've decided that next weekend (November 5/6) will be our butchering date(s). This will be pretty much exactly at the 8 week mark.

This week for weights, we just opened the tractor, let them out, and weighed what looked like the smallest bird and what looked like the biggest.

The smallest-looking bird weighed in at 7 pounds 6 ounces

The biggest-looking bird weighed in at 9 pounds 2 ounces! Woah!!!

Pictures of some random birds (not sure if it's the ones I weighed) enjoying the nice fall day.
signal-2022-10-31-15-14-47-574.jpg
signal-2022-10-31-15-14-23-838.jpg

WEEK SEVEN UPDATE

Let's begin with story time.

Every morning at dawn I let the meaties out of their tractor while I move it and change their water. I place the feed where I'm about to move the tractor, they follow, and then I place the feed in the tractor to get them back in. They seem to go where the feed goes so it hasn't been an issue, and I think it's good for them to walk around.

Well this morning I did just that, and they were all gathered around the feeder. I walked to the spigot to fill their waterer and as I walked back, I saw a strange looking figure on the ground about a foot from the feeder - like one of the chickens but deformed or something. Keep in mind, it was still pretty dark at this point. As I got closer, it was one of the chickens was flipped on it's back and it couldn't get back up!!! :eek: I was shocked! I have no clue how this chicken landed itself in the predicament in the 30 seconds I was away, but I'm glad it happened while I was out there. Maybe it tried to flutter up a little and fell backwards? No idea. But all I know is these things are HUGE!

-----------------------------

Anyway, they all still seem generally healthy. They do seem to lay around a lot more now. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "leg issues", but they tend to just walk a few steps and then lay down. I don't see any limping or anyone who can't get up, but they do waddle around and it does seem they are getting close to being too heavy for their legs to support. I'm starting to feel a little sorry for them in that respect.

We've decided that next weekend (November 5/6) will be our butchering date(s). This will be pretty much exactly at the 8 week mark.

This week for weights, we just opened the tractor, let them out, and weighed what looked like the smallest bird and what looked like the biggest.

The smallest-looking bird weighed in at 7 pounds 6 ounces

The biggest-looking bird weighed in at 9 pounds 2 ounces! Woah!!!

Pictures of some random birds (not sure if it's the ones I weighed) enjoying the nice fall day.
View attachment 3307894View attachment 3307895
Looking chunky. 😊

Well, tomorrow is the day! We will be processing our 6 Cornish X birds, beginning around 8 or 9 am. We will be killing by using a hatchet to behead. We will be holding them over a bucket to drain. I am borrowing my dad's propane cooker for scalding, and we will hand-pluck. My goals for the day are to not get too emotional, to stay focused, and to keep/use as much of the chicken parts as we can. Between our dinners, our dog's meals, and my garden, I should be able to find a use for most parts.

I'm a little nervous. I've tried not to get too attached to the birds and I don't think I have, but they are such gentle, nice creatures and I do feel slightly bad. But I think I just need to stay focused here and stay rational - these birds are our food. It's just hard not to feel sad that they won't be on this earth anymore.

Anyway, wish me luck and maybe say a little prayer or kind thought or whatever you believe in!

Well, tomorrow is the day! We will be processing our 6 Cornish X birds, beginning around 8 or 9 am. We will be killing by using a hatchet to behead. We will be holding them over a bucket to drain. I am borrowing my dad's propane cooker for scalding, and we will hand-pluck. My goals for the day are to not get too emotional, to stay focused, and to keep/use as much of the chicken parts as we can. Between our dinners, our dog's meals, and my garden, I should be able to find a use for most parts.

I'm a little nervous. I've tried not to get too attached to the birds and I don't think I have, but they are such gentle, nice creatures and I do feel slightly bad. But I think I just need to stay focused here and stay rational - these birds are our food. It's just hard not to feel sad that they won't be on this earth anymore.

Anyway, wish me luck and maybe say a little prayer or kind thought or whatever you believe in!
You'll do great!

Something that helps me is to think, if you let them grow too much longer, you'll only be torturing them. It's almost a mercy to end it at the right time. Even better that nothing will go to waste.

I say thank you to each one when I dispatch them. It seems to help

You'll do great!

Something that helps me is to think, if you let them grow too much longer, you'll only be torturing them. It's almost a mercy to end it at the right time. Even better that nothing will go to waste.

I say thank you to each one when I dispatch them. It seems to help
Thanks so much! Yeah that's a good way to think of it. And also, great idea, I plan to thank each one as well. They truly do deserve my appreciation. Amazing creatures!

Back
Top Bottom