First time Scovie mom!and 21 babies! ****PICTURES POST 15 *****

Congrats!!! Cute little Scovie crew!
lol.png

I have mama and her three little ones seperated. I made a sort of stall under our barn, Im leaving them seperated till I feel like she can be let out and they are safer from predators. Which will probably mean for a few weeks or so. Im afraid if the drakes dont attack the bass and turtles will.

I sold all but four of the 21 today, Makes me sad
sad.png
But I did have three people buy groups of five, so at least i know they arent alone.

Quote:
Yeah and like I said.. think about all the people you made happy!!

Thanks! I have a separate baby pen that my settin' Momma is in now, I just dont close the door because I felt bad for her being so far from the others. Hahaha.. though she seems to be just fine with it. She never gets up except to take a drink and eat a little so I'm going to go ahead and close that door. Thanks Goat Walker. You're one smart kid. *hugs*

Lol, thanks
smile.png
hugs.gif

Myhen "flew the coop" today. She hopped out of the stall and flew around the house, to the neighbors pond, and back. I guess just stretching her wings. problem is she left the babies in the stall! So I went out there to check on them again, set on taking them inside now, but mama was right there, pacing to get back in. SO i moved the makeshift door and she went right in and up to the nest and the babies came peeping to her!

This is great information! We have only had our Muscovies about five weeks, and one hen is sitting on 15 eggs; she has been on them for about 10 days. I am a first-time duck owner and have never had ducklings. We have a drake, another hen, and a Cayuga drake. I am hoping to just leave the babies with the mama. They are sheltered and safe, but she made her nest in goat poop
sad.png
I have a brooder cage and a lamp, but hate to separate the babies from the mom (and I may not be here).

Someone told me the big ones will eat the little ones, but we are only here on weekends
sad.png
and I need to figure out in advance what to do. We have been leaving a LOT of food, and an automatic waterer. Do I just need to fence off the mom and put food and water in when the eggs are about to hatch? I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Quote:
I would seperate momma from the other ducks. She might not be able to protect them from the drakes and other ducks, the others might try to eat them or just kill them. Most try to drown them.

My scovy hen has been sitting and tomorrow is our guess at day 35 so we are hoping to soon have ducklings in our midst!!! Any last minute advice? I have put in a long red chick feeder with all purpose poultry starter and a shallow waterer. Do I leave Mom's food in their too? Or can she just eat their food? Is it ok if the chicks eat hers instead of theirs? Is that type of chick feeder ok for ducklings?

Also, they are in a raised coop and I have moved the drake out, so it's just Mom & eggs in there. The pop door is about 30" off the ground and I have it closed for now. When do you think it will be safe to open it or should I just leave it closed? I am planning to sell all the babies
hit.gif
, and if they hatch tomorrow, I would hope they would all be picked up by next weekend. So I'm thinking I would like to keep the pop door closed until they are gone as they will be harder to catch in the run and I don't think they will be able to get back inside....what do you think? Also, if they hatch tomorrow, how soon would you have the new owners come and pick them up? I'm hoping this week, but if that's not a good idea for any reason, please let me know!!!

I'm a bit nervous as we have never had a broody of any type actually hatch anything out and we are fairly new to ducks! Any last minute advice is much appreciated!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom