First week in the coop and run. Should I leave food and water in their coop over night?

AngieK2016

Chirping
Mar 16, 2021
Hi everyone. First time chicken owner here. My babies are 5 and a half weeks old and fully feathered. They’ve spent the night in the coop a couple of times already. I was just curious if I should leave food and water in there over night for them.

Hi everyone. First time chicken owner here. My babies are 5 and a half weeks old and fully feathered. They’ve spent the night in the coop a couple of times already. I was just curious if I should leave food and water in there over night for them.
Pictures of the inside of your coop please?

I leave water out in the run 24/7 because the chickens often wake up before I do and that way they have water while waiting for breakfast.

I don't leave food out (besides stray pieces that got spilled) because I don't want to attract rodents.

I wouldn't worry about water or food in the actual coop though unless they'll be stuck in there for a while during daylight (they stay in there for bad weather a lot, you don't have an automatic door and sleep in, etc).

I just leave the food in there all the time. They don't eat during the night and it saves me having to haul in and out the huge buckets of feed and water morning and night.

This is not recommended if you have a rodent problem, but I don't, its ok and easiest for me.

My coops are rodent proof when I close the pop door after sunset. So I leave feed and water in the coops.
20200926_172740.jpg

I turn on lights at 5 am daily year round. GC

my 5 ladies went in there coop at 8 weeks last July. I kept them 3 days and 2 nights in the coop, ( I was told by a friend they will know this is their new home) so I had there food and water in the coop with them.
I still keep it in there with them since I am not an early riser. However, I just bought an automatic door (waiting for its arrival) and plan on leaving the food and water in the coop for now. However, quarters may get tight since I am adding 7 more chicks this season.

Attachments

• 23F621BD-7076-45DD-9FF7-80849210BC9D.jpeg
    23F621BD-7076-45DD-9FF7-80849210BC9D.jpeg
    684.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 6CC7F260-5470-407E-B402-C0795D94FD05.jpeg
    6CC7F260-5470-407E-B402-C0795D94FD05.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 13
my 5 ladies went in there coop at 8 weeks last July. I kept them 3 days and 2 nights in the coop, ( I was told by a friend they will know this is their new home) so I had there food and water in the coop with them.
I still keep it in there with them since I am not an early riser. However, I just bought an automatic door (waiting for its arrival) and plan on leaving the food and water in the coop for now. However, quarters may get tight since I am adding 7 more chicks this season.
I am a super early riser so I’ve decided no food in there at night. I’ve also been looking into an automatic door too.

Back
Top Bottom