first wooly worm

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by key west chick, Oct 29, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Saw my first wooly worm of the season in my carport. The little guy is ALL black. Hummmm. [​IMG]

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    First? We've been seeing and dodging them for the past 3 mos. Ours are brown, black and a burnt orange coloring. They aren't as wooly as in the past so hopefully we'll have a fairly mild winter. [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ours normally have a fairly large orange band. But this little guy is different. we have had very mild winters the last several years here. Wonder if this year will be different.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They're all over the roads here! It's like a plague. Never seen anything like it. Some are all black, some are brown & black. I must have run over dozens of them today- but ya can't help it! [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Would someone care to post a picture? I have no idea what ya'll are talking about and I am curious.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Awww I miss the woolly worms. We don't have them out here. I loved to collect them as a kid and I remember that we would drive over hundreds with the cars at certain times of the year.

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Here is a link with pics! They are called Wooly bears on this site..I call them that too!
    http://www.all-creatures.org/pica/glf-woollybear.html

DH thinks I am crazy because I do try to not run them over! Now I have my kids watching! As we drive down the road "Look out Mommy, Wooly Bear!" "There's another one!" "Oh no Mommy, I think you just got one"

The funniest was the other day at a 4 way stop with a light, all farm fields, there were Wooly Bears crossing the road with the direction of the traffic....LOL>.the kids thought it was hilarious! [​IMG]

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Here are some pics of some my son was saving today in his school parking lot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Huh, I was always under the impression since I was knee high to a short duck that those things would sting you. I wonder iffin chickens like em?

10. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I saw one last week ( the first this season) and it was huge & mostly black.
    Doesn't that mean a hard winter? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by