First worming....when??

It depends a lot on your location too. Here in Fl our temps and humidity are great for allowing all kinds of evil stuff to grow. My Vet told me as soon as they touch the ground i should start a worming program.

That sounds like something a vet would say. The truth is that a healthy chicken can handle a small worm load without it compromising her health. When it gets out of hand, they begin to lose weight, the feathers lose their shine, etc. Remember that chemical worming itself is a stress on their bodies. The WormGuard Plus stuff contains DE, actually, I believe. I do put DE in the feed, but not the 2% they mention. I just put a cup or so in a bag when I open it to kill any bugs that might want to move in.

Last edited:
I don't think that a worming program has to use only chemical wormers. But you should keep an eye on it and know what is living in your soil and how to treat it, because some things can affect them very quickly.

Roundworms (crop worms, cecal worms, stomach worms, eye worms, capillary worms )& Flatworms (tapeworms, flukes)... the list goes on and on.

Your vet can do a fecal test and hopefully be able to help.

My problem was I bought some chickens through an auction and didn't know I was bringing home infected birds (w/ cecal worms). The bad news: you can treat for the worms but once they get in your ground they're there for years and years. So now I have to treat any new birds I bring into the flock. :9

Back
Top Bottom