Fish People: BETTA FISH

Our Betta is in a bowl with some gravel and a live plant. The plant has been through three Betta buddies in about 7 years. The bowl is unheated but I keep it sitting on a seedling starter mat to just raise the temp enough to keep Mr. Fish warm and active. He's been with us for a year now.

I have owned many Bettas. The longest I have had one live was a little over a year I believe. It lived alone for a long time and eventually I moved it into a 10 gallon tank along with some other fish (I cant remember what kind they all were but I think I had some glofish, an algea eater fish and some other ones that I cant remember)
tongue.png
. I dont have any pictures of them. I now have 2 goldfish and 1 snail in a 50 gallon tank.
smile.png

Quote:
I bred bettas for a while, my parents did when I was young as well. Something we found is that 2 gallon or more tanks, filtered, with no other fish friends and kept warm, around 78 degrees makes for an extremely long lived betta. The sad part though is many asian bred fish, think big commercial suppliers are fed growth hormones to get them to market faster. This plus the stress of shipping long distances, possible poor conditions in the pet stores and over feeding makes the life span short. Think 1-1.5 years rather then the 5-7 from a healthy home bred baby.

I usually have them for about 2 years ish. I've had Libby the longest now since I got her when she was a baby. They sell females bettas younger here. I think they let boys grow older before they sell them so that they are at their most glorious. The problem then is they won't be with you as long
hmm.png
so I try to get them young.

I don't have pics on this computer, but I do have youtube videos if you'd like to see them
big_smile.png

Here is an overview of my fishies, I have them all except Reyson, the blue veil tail, he passed from old age. The only one I don't have here is my red veil tail, Mustafa. I got him shortly after this video was taken.

Back
Top Bottom