I have 2 corys currently, a Julianus? And whatever the little grey ones are. Planning to get an albino (a tri color or panda would be neat, but they're not common at all here) and a trio of livebearers (thinking platies or mollies)
I love those little catfish!

The Guppies are great live-bearers, and I mean really great.... I once had a batch of at least 50 guppy fry, but they all died. However, they are very fragile fish, probably more so than the mollies and platies.

This was my male Dumbo-Eared Guppy. He went by Mikihiko (After an anime character).
IMG_7364 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 corys currently, a Julianus? And whatever the little grey ones are. Planning to get an albino (a tri color or panda would be neat, but they're not common at all here) and a trio of livebearers (thinking platies or mollies)
You can't keep livebearers with corys, as the corys need soft water, and livebearers need hard water. Do you know the GH of your water?

I've seen plenty of people keep them both in tanks though with no problem
You won't see any direct problems. But keeping fish in the wrong water shortens their lifespans. If soft water fish live in hard water, minerals will form in their intestines, which will eventually kill them. For hard water fish, they won't get the minerals they need to survive.

I'm stuck with whatever petsmart has in stock, unfortunately. And I don't have great luck with their guppies anymore. Don't know if it's my water or their fish. I wouldn't mind them though.
That's where I got most of my guppies and other fish.
And you can get lucky, but really, it's the stress that the poor fish go through during their shipment. Our local Petco gets so many cases of Ick, crazy. They aren't even reliable to buy from anymore.

You won't see any direct problems. But keeping fish in the wrong water shortens their lifespans. If soft water fish live in hard water, minerals will form in their intestines, which will eventually kill them. For hard water fish, they won't get the minerals they need to survive.
I have never heard of GH. I know of PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites, but not GH.
What is it?

Back
Top Bottom