Sorry to hear it! Yeah though two months and dark gravid spots makes me think you should have seen fry by now.

I have heard some strains of guppies can be very bad about eating their own fry. If you see a girl getting big and squaring off in the future you may want to get a breeder box with one of those fry protection chambers, and try raising the fry separate from the adults.
I kept the container that I got my beta in as a place for the mom to have her babies. I saw one get really dark gravid spot and her abdomen was huge and square. Thought about separating but didnt because she was not breathing hard, coming to the top for oxygen, or isolating herself. I havent seen any signs like the ones from the videos I have watches.

Mmmmm, I’m thinking about stocking choices…..
2C925CAC-9AD4-4503-B59A-0CE21DD02706.png

I kept the container that I got my beta in as a place for the mom to have her babies. I saw one get really dark gravid spot and her abdomen was huge and square. Thought about separating but didnt because she was not breathing hard, coming to the top for oxygen, or isolating herself. I havent seen any signs like the ones from the videos I have watches.
That's a good idea. It may be worthwhile to watch for belly size, not necessarily labor. I bred Endlers live-bearers (first cousins to guppies) for a couple years and found that some females were very overt about labor, and others very subtle. Instead look for their bodies to start bulking out. Once you see their bellies go from a round shape in profile to squared off, I would go ahead and transfer your girl to a smaller, separate enclosure. If possible, put something into the enclosure that clutters the tank with a ton of small hiding spots she can't easily get into. Moss is perfect for this.

Give it a few days to a week--stress (getting netted and transferred) can sometimes make them give birth a little later, although I once had a girl give birth while in the mail to a client, so sometimes it doesn't seem to bother them at all to be jostled. It may take a few days to a week, and if possible you'll want to have the holding tank set up somewhere you can observe it closely and often. You need to get your female out of there as soon as you're sure she's finished giving birth.

That's a good idea. It may be worthwhile to watch for belly size, not necessarily labor. I bred Endlers live-bearers (first cousins to guppies) for a couple years and found that some females were very overt about labor, and others very subtle. Instead look for their bodies to start bulking out. Once you see their bellies go from a round shape in profile to squared off, I would go ahead and transfer your girl to a smaller, separate enclosure. If possible, put something into the enclosure that clutters the tank with a ton of small hiding spots she can't easily get into. Moss is perfect for this.

Give it a few days to a week--stress (getting netted and transferred) can sometimes make them give birth a little later, although I once had a girl give birth while in the mail to a client, so sometimes it doesn't seem to bother them at all to be jostled. It may take a few days to a week, and if possible you'll want to have the holding tank set up somewhere you can observe it closely and often. You need to get your female out of there as soon as you're sure she's finished giving birth.
Ok! I'll watch. I'll take a picture of it but I have a small, fake, leafy plant. They can get under and in it but momma will have a hard time.

Always happy to find other fish keepers too!! Its funny, there is a fish thread on the chicken forum, and a chicken thread on the fish forum... 😂 Animal lovers unite!!

Have been a fish keeper since high school with breaks during college and baby-years... but last year I upgraded my 55g to a 120g planted tank with a DIY dresser to tank stand conversion, which is now the first thing you see when you walk into my home!!

We have: angelfish, a couple plecos, panda cories, a school of cardinal tetras, a school of buenos aries tetras, and a bunch of mystery snails. Oh, and one rogue dwarf gourami who thinks he is an angel - because my husband loves them.

The plants have filled in quite a bit from this photo last year, but this is the final setup.
IMG_6593.jpg

Always happy to find other fish keepers too!! Its funny, there is a fish thread on the chicken forum, and a chicken thread on the fish forum... 😂 Animal lovers unite!!

Have been a fish keeper since high school with breaks during college and baby-years... but last year I upgraded my 55g to a 120g planted tank with a DIY dresser to tank stand conversion, which is now the first thing you see when you walk into my home!!

We have: angelfish, a couple plecos, panda cories, a school of cardinal tetras, a school of buenos aries tetras, and a bunch of mystery snails. Oh, and one rogue dwarf gourami who thinks he is an angel - because my husband loves them.

The plants have filled in quite a bit from this photo last year, but this is the final setup.View attachment 3141963
So pretty! Not just the tank but the rest of the room and other decorations as well! You’re good at this! 😍 I love that dresser! 😍

Back
Top Bottom