A little algae on the sides of the tank is not the end of the world. A snail can take care of that just fine, or just a gentle scrub with a sponge. The film on the top is more worrisome because the betta needs to be able to breathe at the water surface. If you don't have a filter and/or bubbler to break the surface tension to keep it moving and scum-free you'll need to get one.

Is the tank sitting near a window or otherwise in a place where it gets sunlight? Do you use artificial lights and if so, how long are they on during the day? If the tank gets a lot of light, limit the amount of time it's lit up. Excessive light, especially sunlight, can lead to algae blooms.

My little tank with a betta in it got a film on top of the water and algae growing on the side. This all appeared in 2 days. Does anyone know why?
The feed is eventually turned into nutrients. Nutrients plus light equals algae. Make sure there is just enough food to nourish the fish, Change water more often to flush out the nutrients

The feed is eventually turned into nutrients. Nutrients plus light equals algae. Make sure there is just enough food to nourish the fish, Change water more often to flush out the nutrients
Ok. There is never any leftover food. When I feed him I give him 1 piece and make sure he eats it.

My little tank with a betta in it got a film on top of the water and algae growing on the side. This all appeared in 2 days. Does anyone know why?
Too much light. Film is probably from fish oil in the food. Need something to agitate the surface and it won't be noticeable. It's probably not an issue anyway.

Two ways to control algae - light or nutrients. You probably need to do a few 50-70% water changes, scrub the algae and reduce the time your lights are on. Fish don't care. If you don't have live plants you can just turn them on when you want to look at them and off otherwise. I used a mechanical timer so they were only on when I was home, but my plants got enough light to grow also.

Anyway, the key to good aquarium keeping is large, consistent water changes unless you have a method of removing the nitrates like aquaponics or an anaerobic filter. For a betta tank water changes are going to be the simplest /cost effective method.

Too much light. Film is probably from fish oil in the food. Need something to agitate the surface and it won't be noticeable. It's probably not an issue anyway.

Two ways to control algae - light or nutrients. You probably need to do a few 50-70% water changes, scrub the algae and reduce the time your lights are on. Fish don't care. If you don't have live plants you can just turn them on when you want to look at them and off otherwise. I used a mechanical timer so they were only on when I was home, but my plants got enough light to grow also.

Anyway, the key to good aquarium keeping is large, consistent water changes unless you have a method of removing the nitrates like aquaponics or an anaerobic filter. For a betta tank water changes are going to be the simplest /cost effective method.
Thank you! I'll add water tonight. Can I use a toothbrush to scrub around the tank and just clean it a little? Should I completely change the water like once a month?

Thank you! I'll add water tonight. Can I use a toothbrush to scrub around the tank and just clean it a little? Should I completely change the water like once a month?
If it's simple green algae you should be able to remove it rubbing with your fingers. If it's black beard algae you'll either need to kill it with peroxide or light restriction.

I'd change water weekly or every other week. 50% is pretty standard and if you have a small tank it's easy. Changing a large percentage of water removes a large percentage of contaminates, but only by the amount you change. Two 50% changes back to back only removes 75% of contaminates even though you've changed "100%" of the water. This is because the second changes removes half of the remaining 50% If you're buying special betta water, don't. Your fish can acclimate to water types just like chickens adapt to temperatures. If you are buying special water you'll need to introduce tap slowly and treat with dechlorinater like Prime. Aquariumadvice.com is a great site/forum for more information. Some people on there can be intense about water changes, but don't sweat it - nitrates aren't as big a deal as some make them out to be in 99% of fish.

Ready for fish!
CF7035AD-50C8-4532-BE98-C105689F2E3D.jpeg

Love fish tanks!! We moved not too long ago so my planted tanks are still filling back in. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new dwarf aquarium lily bulb, as the old one doesn't seem to have made it. :(

Pics! Bigger one is a 29 with a handful of Endlers males, 13 Cory Habrosus, a mystery snail and a bunch of pest snails. Smaller is a 14gal with a handful of Endlers females, some ramshorns, and one enormous brown cherry shrimp who will probably outlive all of us. Forgive the algae on the back and side walls--I don't bother cleaning that off. Figure it makes for good biofilm and biofiltration.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_072536219.jpg
    IMG_20220608_072536219.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220608_072522074.jpg
    IMG_20220608_072522074.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220608_072657111.jpg
    IMG_20220608_072657111.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice! I finally got my new 32-gal tank rid of floating algae - did break down and get a UV bulb to put in the filter compartment and that's worked wonders! I'll be turning it on a bit on the weekends from now on to keep things in check, but finally I feel it's ok to put new fish in! I'm leaning towards green tiger barbs, been eying those for a while but they're too aggressive to put in with the old tetras in the other tank.

I don't scrape off the algae that grows on the sides either, unless it's just REALLY bad. I keep snails around for the algae-eating :) or the copepods show up to do the work eventually. Never had a problem with the wall algae affecting water quality or the health of the fish or plants.

Nice! I finally got my new 32-gal tank rid of floating algae - did break down and get a UV bulb to put in the filter compartment and that's worked wonders! I'll be turning it on a bit on the weekends from now on to keep things in check, but finally I feel it's ok to put new fish in! I'm leaning towards green tiger barbs, been eying those for a while but they're too aggressive to put in with the old tetras in the other tank.

I don't scrape off the algae that grows on the sides either, unless it's just REALLY bad. I keep snails around for the algae-eating :) or the copepods show up to do the work eventually. Never had a problem with the wall algae affecting water quality or the health of the fish or plants.
Oh nice!! I've heard UV sterilizers can be really useful, especially if some kind of illness crops up.

Green tiger barbs are gorgeous! Too bad they're a bit aggressive, though. Update is on what you decide to go with!!

Yup! That's how I look at it too. It's beneficial, if a bit unsightly. Now the viewing glass definitely gets some attention with the algae scraper. I haven't found my snails do a good enough job to keep it clean!

Back
Top Bottom