Pics
Oh boy fishy update time!

I recently adopted a couple of gouramis off of my local Nextdoor site...the owner 'didn't realize how big they'd get' as if Google doesn't exist...sigh...
Anyway, I have a honey male and a blue dwarf female in the big 28-gallon tank now. The tetras and rasboras are still spooked by them, and the cory cat is Most Upset that her log has been usurped by the gouramis.
I named the honey Count Richelieu and the dwarf Milady de Winter. :)

My copper betta pair didn't work out. The poor male got nearly all his fins torn off the last time I put them together so they're retired to a cushy life as pets now. He's fine now, his fins have grown back about halfway, which is impressive considering how voluminous they were before.

So I got myself a pair of black coppers. It was my first time getting bettas shipped through the mail, I had them shipped to work and all my coworkers were very excited to see them. They are so lovely, hopefully I'll have better luck with them than the coppers. I call the male Bazylik, after Cyprian Bazylik (what do you mean, you don't know your obscure Polish Renaissance composers?), and the female is Bé Chuille (one of the Irish Tuatha Dé Danann).

And the one betta with velvet is almost recovered! I couldn't see any obvious spots of velvet on her tonight, but I will continue treatment for a few more days just to be sure. Thinking back on it, a betta who used that same tank previously also got velvet, but that was almost three years ago. Still, I think I'll toss the whole tank once this gal's gone. Not sure what to do with the snail she shares the tank with though...

My tank is set up and I am getting a few fish tomorrow.
20200110_150957.jpg

Oh boy fishy update time!

I recently adopted a couple of gouramis off of my local Nextdoor site...the owner 'didn't realize how big they'd get' as if Google doesn't exist...sigh...
Anyway, I have a honey male and a blue dwarf female in the big 28-gallon tank now. The tetras and rasboras are still spooked by them, and the cory cat is Most Upset that her log has been usurped by the gouramis.
I named the honey Count Richelieu and the dwarf Milady de Winter. :)

My copper betta pair didn't work out. The poor male got nearly all his fins torn off the last time I put them together so they're retired to a cushy life as pets now. He's fine now, his fins have grown back about halfway, which is impressive considering how voluminous they were before.

So I got myself a pair of black coppers. It was my first time getting bettas shipped through the mail, I had them shipped to work and all my coworkers were very excited to see them. They are so lovely, hopefully I'll have better luck with them than the coppers. I call the male Bazylik, after Cyprian Bazylik (what do you mean, you don't know your obscure Polish Renaissance composers?), and the female is Bé Chuille (one of the Irish Tuatha Dé Danann).

And the one betta with velvet is almost recovered! I couldn't see any obvious spots of velvet on her tonight, but I will continue treatment for a few more days just to be sure. Thinking back on it, a betta who used that same tank previously also got velvet, but that was almost three years ago. Still, I think I'll toss the whole tank once this gal's gone. Not sure what to do with the snail she shares the tank with though...

Sorry I never replied. :oops: love the names!! And so sweet of you to rescue!! :love hope everything goes well with the new betta breeding! :D

ha no such luck. I cannot convince any of the coppers or black coppers to breed. I am beyond frustrated to the point of wanting to quit now. So of course in a fit of rage I went out and bought a couple of royal blue veiltails from local pet stores, since that seems to be all I can get to spawn for me. I haven't tried them yet, I need to clean out the spawning tanks first. I just can't figure out what trick I"m obviously missing now that I had no problem getting when I was a teen and didn't even know what I was doing with the bettas.

I also ended up losing all my non-breeding fish (and their snails) to a velvet outbreak. It was not a fun week when that happened. I tossed all of their tanks and equipment and even ignoring the loss of life involved, that ended up being probably $200-500 worth of aquarium stuff I lost. But it just wasn't worth trying to salvage. I can't risk it laying dormant and popping up again when I least need it to.

ha no such luck. I cannot convince any of the coppers or black coppers to breed. I am beyond frustrated to the point of wanting to quit now. So of course in a fit of rage I went out and bought a couple of royal blue veiltails from local pet stores, since that seems to be all I can get to spawn for me. I haven't tried them yet, I need to clean out the spawning tanks first. I just can't figure out what trick I"m obviously missing now that I had no problem getting when I was a teen and didn't even know what I was doing with the bettas.

I also ended up losing all my non-breeding fish (and their snails) to a velvet outbreak. It was not a fun week when that happened. I tossed all of their tanks and equipment and even ignoring the loss of life involved, that ended up being probably $200-500 worth of aquarium stuff I lost. But it just wasn't worth trying to salvage. I can't risk it laying dormant and popping up again when I least need it to.

Aw no!!! I’m so sorry!! :hit :hugs

I really hope you get some better luck soon!!

Have you tried almond leaves in there? Would that help? Or maybe live plants?

I've tried with and without almond leaves, makes no difference. Same with the live plants. I have scoured the internet for any tips and tricks, I've tried everything except conditioning the pair with live food (I have no room for yet another live food culture. I just don't.). Only one of four pairs in the last two years spawned for me, and that was my last royal blue vt petstore pair, and even then only after multiple attempts.

I just don't know what I'm missing.

I've tried with and without almond leaves, makes no difference. Same with the live plants. I have scoured the internet for any tips and tricks, I've tried everything except conditioning the pair with live food (I have no room for yet another live food culture. I just don't.). Only one of four pairs in the last two years spawned for me, and that was my last royal blue vt petstore pair, and even then only after multiple attempts.

I just don't know what I'm missing.

That really sucks! Sorry. :(

I have two 10 gallon tanks, a 20, and a 29. I mainly have shrimp and guppies. I'm curious if anyone on here has any tips about getting rid of algae growth? Three of my tanks have bad algae problems.
Algae is generally from too much light or too much pollution. Either over feeding, or not doing regular water changes to remove the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom