Pics
The dragon eye that happens with dragonscales is because their genetics don't always understand that the extra-thick scaling (which causes the bold color and easily distinguished individual scales) should only apply to body scales. So you get the thickness happening on the fins and eyes sometimes. There's nothing to be done to stop it except careful breeding practices to not produce it in the first place.
Just like with any critter, though, you can make certain adjustments to their environment to make it easier to navigate while blind!

The dragon eye that happens with dragonscales is because their genetics don't always understand that the extra-thick scaling (which causes the bold color and easily distinguished individual scales) should only apply to body scales. So you get the thickness happening on the fins and eyes sometimes. There's nothing to be done to stop it except careful breeding practices to not produce it in the first place.
Just like with any critter, though, you can make certain adjustments to their environment to make it easier to navigate while blind!

Thank you!! Very helpful!! That’s so sad. :( I had no idea there so many problems or else I wouldn’t have bought it. :( I just thought he was pretty. Had no idea it was cruel. :(

I looked today and one eye appears white/totally covered almost. The other is blue/green scales over the top quarter of it so not fully covered I don’t think.

I’m going to add the plants and get a feeding ring and then leave it and not change anything haha

Wanna do it before he’s totally blind.

Do you think the wood would be too sharp/hard for him? Could he bump into it?

Need something to attach some of the plants to though so idk.

Depends on the wood, if there's not sharp points or edges it should be fine.

Not all dragonscales get dragon eye. Mine didn't, he was actually one of the healthiest bettas I've ever had. But it is an unfortunate tendency in the lines. I hope it can get worked out some day because the dragonscales are really stunning fish.

Depends on the wood, if there's not sharp points or edges it should be fine.

Not all dragonscales get dragon eye. Mine didn't, he was actually one of the healthiest bettas I've ever had. But it is an unfortunate tendency in the lines. I hope it can get worked out some day because the dragonscales are really stunning fish.

I don’t think it’s sharp but I’m not sure. I’ll have to double check. I have several pieces of it so I can choose the least sharp one haha it’s mopani wood.

And that’s good to know!! Yeah the funny thing is he seems really healthy/hardy too otherwise!! He had something wrong with him when I first got him and I thought he was going to die. I actually almost put him down after he didn’t move at all for a full day and I researched how to do it and went and bought clove oil and everything but then he finally moved a tiny bit and I decided to give him a chance. Did some salt treatments in a separate bowl and some in the tank and he made a miraculous recovery!

Now he’s my spunkiest fish!

My veil tail just recently died from unknown causes and I had another one die from shock (my own fault, accidentally did a full water change and stunned him :hit feel so bad :( ) but yet the supposedly delicate fish came back from literal death’s door AND has a runty fin AND is almost blind yet he’s the happiest, healthiest little guy in the world!!

But yes, I hope it gets worked out too!! Cause he really is beautiful!!! And those fish that were being discussed the other day that can’t swim well. So sad. :(

@Dinogrrl

nitrate higharound 200 nitritr fine clorine 0 ph 8.4 alkalinty chart is green,strip is bluetotal hardness300

Can y'all read my chicken scratching ? Betta isnt doing well, No spots bumps nada. @oldhenlikesdogs
Nitrates are way high. It's recommended they never go above 20-30 ppm. Betta will start suffer above 20. Your water is also alkaline. Most fish need somewhere around 7, but most can adapt as long as changes are made slowly. So as long as ph reading are the same out of the tap as they are in your tank fish can take larger water changes.

Mine comes out of the tap at 6 for ph and buffers up to 8 in my tanks, so I gotta be careful with my water changes on my tropical fish. I do them more often at less amounts.

You water is at the top range for hardness as far as what betta can tolerate.

LOL Are you sneaking on the computer when your supposed to be working ?
Sorry it took so long to reply! Not quite, I was actually just waiting for an online conference to start. Then I had homework, yesterday I had an exam.. and so on. Here are the pictures:
IMG_4920.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG

You can probably see the ich on the first one (this photo was taken several days ago, it's become worse since then), the second had cloudy eye (which actually went away!) and the third has fin rot going. I actually think the fish in the last picture died already, but I'm not sure. Well, the cloudy eye is gone, the fin rot is still progressing in (some, not all) fish, and the ich is becoming worse. After reading more reviews, I've decided that the Melafix + Pimafix are herbal preventatives that don't do much to actually treat an already established bacterial or fungal infection.

So, I did some large water changes and restarted treatment with Ich-x. I have not lost any fish in the past 12 hours, which at this point in my mind is good news!

Back
Top Bottom