Pics
Hello, I want to share an experiment I did with a small brute trash bin filled with bio balls and pure ammonia from Walmart in a 300 gallon plastic tank. I filled the tank with water and put in about a cup of ammonia and let the tank cycle through the nitrification process. I kept adding ammonia as soon as it was cleared, eventually the water ran out of KH minerals and the nitrification stopped clearing the ammonia. Then I put baking soda in the water and the nitrification started again. I concluded that the best test to get is the KH test. Because when the KH goes to zero your fish will get sick.

Hey guys, I looked for a Aqueon heater that was lighter shaped, but Amazon didn't have one. I want to use Amazon so that it comes a quick as possible. I found this one-
https://www.amazon.com/AQQA-Submers...08FFHYL6H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
It does have 16% 1 star reviews, but since there aren't very many reviews, it only has 9, 1 and 2 star reviews total. Tell me what you think? Hopefully I can find something reliable enough. Thanks!
Okay, I ordered this one. I will keep a close eye on the temp, and if it doesn't work I can always send it back. It will be here in two days and I just need something to get the temp up from 60 degrees! I am willing to try it so I'll guess well see. Crossing fingers! :fl

Okay, I ordered this one. I will keep a close eye on the temp, and if it doesn't work I can always send it back. It will be here in two days and I just need something to get the temp up from 60 degrees! I am willing to try it so I'll guess well see. Crossing fingers! :fl
If it starts getting too cold while you wait for the heater you can warm a little water on the stove probably and then put it in the tank it can keep the temperature warm for short periods .

Awww I’m sorry! He sounds really pretty!! Or handsome?
Thanks, when I got him he was the size of my thumbnail. I always called him he but never really looked.
He sounds amazing :hugs

I have hermit crabs, but they're the land ones. Do you have water ones?
I have 3 PP and 2 strawberry hermit crabs. Yours are likely PPs, they're the most common.
Hermits breed in captivity all the time, it's raising the eggs that's hard. They wont hatch unless they're in salt water and they live like plankton for a couple of molts, then swim for a few molts, then crawl, and crawl out of the water, find teensy tiny little shells and live on land the rest of their lives!

They've been raised in captivity a handful of times, always done in the same way as a research lab in (I think, could be wrong) Switzerland that first managed it. So an ultra sterile environment, feeding with an eyedropper followed by 50% water changes multiple times a day and raising ANY of the thousands of hatchlings to land is success.

I want to see if it can be done if I have pre-prepped (likely for months) an artificial shore tank with live sand and water; meaning water with plankton, microalgae and rotifers, and filtration that provides a current without sucking up and killing the teeny, bitty things.

It will be an interesting build and an even more interesting experiment and I really, REALLY want to try it, but I'm not even going to start until I am once again in a place I own, because renting a farm is too much stress to allow for much in the way of intensive hobbies.

Thanks, when I got him he was the size of my thumbnail. I always called him he but never really looked.

I have 3 PP and 2 strawberry hermit crabs. Yours are likely PPs, they're the most common.
Hermits breed in captivity all the time, it's raising the eggs that's hard. They wont hatch unless they're in salt water and they live like plankton for a couple of molts, then swim for a few molts, then crawl, and crawl out of the water, find teensy tiny little shells and live on land the rest of their lives!

They've been raised in captivity a handful of times, always done in the same way as a research lab in (I think, could be wrong) Switzerland that first managed it. So an ultra sterile environment, feeding with an eyedropper followed by 50% water changes multiple times a day and raising ANY of the thousands of hatchlings to land is success.

I want to see if it can be done if I have pre-prepped (likely for months) an artificial shore tank with live sand and water; meaning water with plankton, microalgae and rotifers, and filtration that provides a current without sucking up and killing the teeny, bitty things.

It will be an interesting build and an even more interesting experiment and I really, REALLY want to try it, but I'm not even going to start until I am once again in a place I own, because renting a farm is too much stress to allow for much in the way of intensive hobbies.
It’s awesome to watch them grow!

And oh wow that sounds like a super cool project!! :eek: why is it so difficult to raise them, out of curiosity? I mean, the ones in the ocean seem pretty prolific? But maybe that’s a different species?

That is SO COOL.
SO COOL.

Back
Top Bottom