Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
May and I are both a little blue today. We're disappointed in the sling I made for her. She hates it and simply goes limp when in it. She makes her opinion known.

Kind of reminds me of when my kids were small and we got them all swimming lessons. The youngest was two, and demonstrated his refusal to go along with the program by promptly sinking to the bottom of the pool when the instructor tried to get him to dog paddle.

I tried modifying the sling some more to make the leg openings roomier, but that was the least of May's objections. She simply hates the entire concept. So I took her out of it and threw the thing away. I'll go back to the wheeled chair project.
8882099B-15BB-414E-A9F3-9EC4D297351E.jpeg

RE: shipping samples for testing, what about a private courier service, like the ones legal offices and physicians' offices used to use to 'hand deliver' radiographs or documents to specific recipients? I agree with others, if the test kit won't degrade/expire for a while, hang onto it.

Would be neat to get a BYC Relay together, like folks have done when a pup or kitty is in one state and an adopting family is in another. The "people chain" from town to town, willing to pick up/drive sample(s) overnight, long distances from one town and hand off to a BYC'er in the next town on the route :)

May continues to show improvement. She is eager to move around, not just lie in one spot.

I finished her wagon. It rolls easily on the sand and her feet are able to reach the ground through leg holes. (There's also poop hole.) She's strapped in so she won't try to wiggle her way out. But that remains to be seen if she will achieve escape as she has in the previous chairs.
61CC57C7-8E4A-4806-9764-0B3560593BC3.jpeg

Attachments

• B474A942-D14B-486B-BD02-BD89CBF76B57.jpeg
    B474A942-D14B-486B-BD02-BD89CBF76B57.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 17
The wagon looks great! And i see Su-su checking wagon out. I assume she gives wagon her seal of approval too. You made a comment a while ago that May is like a perfectly good car, just lacking wheels. (Paraphase). Now May Has wheels! 😁 Btw meant to say re pic of May in sling; she sure is beautiful. And despite i know its frustrating she keeps escaping from the aids u've made for her, its not a bad thing that she is strong enough to do so. 😊

May continues to show improvement. She is eager to move around, not just lie in one spot.

I finished her wagon. It rolls easily on the sand and her feet are able to reach the ground through leg holes. (There's also poop hole.) She's strapped in so she won't try to wiggle her way out. But that remains to be seen if she will achieve escape as she has in the previous chairs. View attachment 2487599
Great engineering on her desert cruiser! Your contraptions are awesome.

I trust her flockmates are taking this in stride? If mine saw a rolling box, they'd be trying to jump in with May to try it themselves. They're absolutely enchanted by cardboard for some reason.

Do make sure she gets to stretch those wings from time to time like she normally would. Really important for her to be able to maintain circulation.

Edit: I meant to add I guffawed at the bumper sticker on her cruiser. Gotta represent!

May is only in the wagon for an hour at a time, maybe twice a day. I just got back from town, and I noticed May actually using her right leg for the first time. Up until now, It's been a totally lifeless limb, dangling like a useless decoration. It's now supporting a bit of her weight. This is HUGE!

April is laying!

Back
Top Bottom