Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
May is only in the wagon for an hour at a time, maybe twice a day. I just got back from town, and I noticed May actually using her right leg for the first time. Up until now, It's been a totally lifeless limb, dangling like a useless decoration. It's now supporting a bit of her weight. This is HUGE!

April is laying!
Oh wow! That's great news! I'm just so excited for May! I cannot wait to see her when she is standing on her own and walking around.

In case anyone has been wondering, May has been able to escape her new wagon both restrained and unrestrained. Which relieves me of the responsibility of monitoring her time in the chair. She decides when she's had enough and wiggles out of it.

I watched her after I gave her her vitamins, and she's using her legs to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. There's no doubt she's making progress getting her legs to work again.

In case anyone has been wondering, May has been able to escape her new wagon both restrained and unrestrained. Which relieves me of the responsibility of monitoring her time in the chair. She decides when she's had enough and wiggles out of it.

I watched her after I gave her her vitamins, and she's using her legs to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. There's no doubt she's making progress getting her legs to work again.
Yes, I was wondering. Yay, May!

May has been about the same, but periodically, she will stand and she appears to be gaining the control of the upper part of her right leg that's been totally useless before. If she desires to move, she manages to get where she's trying to go. But most of the time, she's content to sit under the heat lamp with her nanny Su-su, who protects her every single minute of the day. Such devotion from an adult hen for a pullet of nearly seven months is astounding to me.

Day before yesterday I noticed her comb was a dark dusky color of red, not a good sign. It occurred to me yesterday that she may be dehydrated and that would cause decreased blood volume, thus a decrease in O2 levels. So, yesterday and today she received fluids and raw egg and some sugar and Nutri-drench via tube feeding. After that, she ate about half a cup of boiled rice soaked with keifer. Her comb is a nice healthy red again.

Back
Top Bottom