Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
I am reasonably sure the B and E has something to do with May's improvement.

I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a way to get the Marek's DNA blood samples to the lab in Texas in 24 hours. It's a nine hour car trip from my place, eighteen hours round trip. I called the local post office, the one that has their sorting facility in the same direction as the package needs to go, and they told me that "overnight" in USPS means 48 hours. You'd think they'd call it two-day delivery to demonstrate some honesty.

I don't have any FedEx or UPS facilities in my general area. So I'm talking to a local vet's office to see if my samples could go to their lab. I haven't heard back yet. I'm about to just toss the test kit and forget this all together.

I agree it is frustrating to go to such trouble (& expense), just to have the bloodwork be "dead on arrival." IF u decide not to go through with testing at this time, u can always get test later, if u can find a method that guarrantees overnight delivery. Does the mareks test kit itself have an expiration date? If not, i vote dont "toss the test kit" altogether, just set issue (& kit) aside until you find a solution that works. No point trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully your vet can help.

I was also disappointed to hear what overnight priority or express mail means. 48 hours. :( And two day priority for packages takes more like 4 or 5 days. I'm with you, since you don't suspect Marek's why go to the unnecessary trouble and stress? These days with delivery troubles due to quarantines and everyone ordering on line it's even worse, and I haven't even received FedEx in the time frame they predict. So that's no guarantee either.

I'm happy May is getting better and now think she will make a full recovery. So, are you giving the same treatment to Su-su? Can't hurt. :confused:

I'll hang onto the kit. It's comprised of sterile tubes and swabs, no expiration.

I doubt this is Marek's. Chickens don't recover from Marek's.
From what I understand, chickens can recover from some of the symptoms of Marek’s, but not the actual tumors or the disease. However, the fact that she is recovering from almost a complete paralysis makes me think you’re right about it not being Marek’s.
I really hope your pullet recovers! :D She seems like a resilient chicken. Thanks for making this thread so detailed, it’s very educational!

Back
Top Bottom