Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

I'm certainly open to all possibilities. I did try to treat with acyclovir (an antiviral) in case I was dealing with a virus. It was worth a shot.

Ivermectin as a worming med is toxic to chickens except in very carefully measured doses, so for that reason, I've not felt comfortable using it even as a wormer. I wouldn't try to experiment on my own with it for this reason, also.

But if scientific studies take it on and it proves effective and safe and the dosages are clearly stated, I would be up for trying it.

Our vet helped us dose our flock with Ivermectin. If you dose orally then the amount depends on the weight of each bird at the time of dosing. For the oral treatment there was an egg withdrawal period. Topical treatment was just a drop on the skin at the back of the neck and no withdrawal period needed, according to our vet.

I think both are equally effective for parasites, but for viral treatment I would imagine oral would be the most beneficial, though you would need to be very precise. For sure I would wait for scientists to decide that it actually does anything for viruses. Covid isn't the first virus and Ivermectin has been around for a long time--I would imagine if it were effective for treating viruses that it would've been used before now? Covid might be making scientists take a closer look at less tried methods though. I'll be curious to know if anything comes of it.

The studies i read stating that ivermectin shows promise to be broad-spectrum antiviral and anti-cancer were all fairly recent, most published in 2020-2021, and dont have anything to do with vaccines or the covid virus specifically. The studies showed ivermectin kills viruses and cancer cells both in vitro & in vivo (mice, rats, rabbits and dogs), but human case studies have not yet been done. There are several human/mammal viruses that cause cancers same as there are in chickens/birds, so possibly ivermectin will prove to be a major breakthrough to knock out many viruses and cancers, including avian Marek's Disease and Lymphoid Leucosis. I posted the info here because early studies look promising, & developments bear watching.

I think I read that study, as well. I believe it mentioned that in vitro ( petri dish) experiments showed very preliminary results, though promising, needed clinical trials next since it appeared the dosages required with clinical studies were probably going to require high doses to achieve similar results. That all remains to be studied, and if doses are so high to achieve similar results to in vitro, it may end up being impractical or impossible if the side effects of such high doses are toxic.

This is the reason I won't be experimenting on my chickens.

I think I read that study, as well. I believe it mentioned that in vitro ( petri dish) experiments showed very preliminary results, though promising, needed clinical trials next since it appeared the dosages required with clinical studies were probably going to require high doses to achieve similar results. That all remains to be studied, and if doses are so high to achieve similar results to in vitro, it may end up being impractical or impossible if the side effects of such high doses are toxic.

This is the reason I won't be experimenting on my chickens.
Also a good reason not to experiment on oneself.

Update. April, the only surviving hen of four pullets exposed to active ALV as chicks, is now exhibiting symptoms.

She's approaching three years of age, and every single day of those years have been a miracle of resistance to the virus that killed her mates. However, her latest eggs have been strange in shape, more like torpedo shaped than egg shaped. Her latest egg wouldn't allow the lid to close on the egg carton, though normal inside.

In fact, I just tried to feed it to her soft cooked, but she only took a bite and then ignored it. She's lethargic with droopy eyes. I'm doubtful she has much longer.

Update. April, the only surviving hen of four pullets exposed to active ALV as chicks, is now exhibiting symptoms.

She's approaching three years of age, and every single day of those years have been a miracle of resistance to the virus that killed her mates. However, her latest eggs have been strange in shape, more like torpedo shaped than egg shaped. Her latest egg wouldn't allow the lid to close on the egg carton, though normal inside.

In fact, I just tried to feed it to her soft cooked, but she only took a bite and then ignored it. She's lethargic with droopy eyes. I'm doubtful she has much longer.
I’m so sorry to hear this. ❤️‍🩹

Back
Top Bottom