Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Update. April, the only surviving hen of four pullets exposed to active ALV as chicks, is now exhibiting symptoms.

She's approaching three years of age, and every single day of those years have been a miracle of resistance to the virus that killed her mates. However, her latest eggs have been strange in shape, more like torpedo shaped than egg shaped. Her latest egg wouldn't allow the lid to close on the egg carton, though normal inside.

In fact, I just tried to feed it to her soft cooked, but she only took a bite and then ignored it. She's lethargic with droopy eyes. I'm doubtful she has much longer.

Oh no. :c I'm sorry

Update. April, the only surviving hen of four pullets exposed to active ALV as chicks, is now exhibiting symptoms.

She's approaching three years of age, and every single day of those years have been a miracle of resistance to the virus that killed her mates. However, her latest eggs have been strange in shape, more like torpedo shaped than egg shaped. Her latest egg wouldn't allow the lid to close on the egg carton, though normal inside.

In fact, I just tried to feed it to her soft cooked, but she only took a bite and then ignored it. She's lethargic with droopy eyes. I'm doubtful she has much longer.
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. :hugs This must be very difficult for you. :(

I'm so sorry :hugs . It's so tough seeing your birds decline

So sorry to hear this. She certainly had a longer, happier run with you than she would have in any other circumstance. You did everything that could be done, and then some. I hope she passes peacefully.

Waiting for one of my chickens to "pass peacefully" isn't in my DNA. I monitor the rate of decline, whether it's steady or if the chicken might show remission and rebound. This is definitely a sign that ALV is working in April's body, but she might still have some good days before things go straight to h&ll.

You cared for her wonderfully and her life as long as it’s been is a testament to that. I’m sorry her illness is progressing but she had a good life thanks to you.

You just never know when a chicken you've given up for dead will surprise you and prove you very wrong. That cephalexin dose last night likely yanked April back from the brink. I really didn't expect it to do anything more than rule out infection. But there she was standing and munching on her crumbles this morning when I crept up to her crate to see if she'd died during the night.

She isn't 100% but halfway there. I guess it was an infection after all. I'm happy to be wrong.
5570974E-D6A7-4617-B0EA-1B6A6E0E6E70.jpeg
When you're sick and have a fickle appetite, it helps to drag in the lowest member of the pecking order but who still has enough spunk to eat in front of you to stimulate the appetite. This is Saffron the Sicilian Buttercup.
5443A97A-7B3A-48D6-9546-798B2213694A.jpeg
April is sorta-kinda 50% better than last night. Maybe I get to keep her for a while longer.

Back
Top Bottom