Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
The sun is out, it's finally up into the 50s, the snow is melting, and May is standing! Actually standing on two legs with both feet used to balance. It sure does appear the right leg is now gaining strength in the shank. I haven't see May in such an upright position since this thing began. I'm allowing myself to hope to see her walk before she lays her first egg.

The sun is out, it's finally up into the 50s, the snow is melting, and May is standing! Actually standing on two legs with both feet used to balance. It sure does appear the right leg is now gaining strength in the shank. I haven't see May in such an upright position since this thing began. I'm allowing myself to hope to see her walk before she lays her first egg.
That is good news, I hope she will continue to recover. :yesss:

You have gone above and beyond with May, I just love reading about her recovery, with your devotion and her desire for life, she seems to be well on her way to perfect healing. :love

One of my 3-year-old blue australorps (also from Privetts hatchery, no health issues thankfully), sending best wishes to May. And hoping May will be laying eggs for you and stealing bugs from Pearl very soon now!

Attachments

• 20201227_191200.jpg
    20201227_191200.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 6
Great news about May and her progress! Wish we knew how this all works with chicken recovery....

BTW, is May on any pain meds right now? Metacam? Aspirin? Just wondering, as my Fay's mobility has sadly declined, so I'm wondering if some pain relief might help her. Not sure how to accurately assess/judge pain in chickens but I want to give all the support I can.

No, May hasn't ever been on pain meds since I decided from the onset of her illness it likely wasn't an injury. Her case has been very different from Jules. Jules was in a tremendous amount of pain, something May has never exhibited. Jules would screech and cry every time I had to handle her. Chicks are very vocal about pain, unlike adult chickens, I've observed over the years. When a chick is in pain, they let the whole world know in no uncertain terms, and they seem downright outraged by it.

Just a moment ago, I took May out of her roller chair and set her on the ground around five feet from her nanny Su-su. She made it the entire distance on two legs that appeared very much to work!

Back
Top Bottom