Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
Pic is of my indoor thermostat last tuesday. Some homes in texas do have fireplaces and gas heat. Many (like me) have neither. My sister and her husband had their power go out last sunday 2am. They never got Any electricity back until last friday 3pm. They didnt lose their water, but in addition to no electric they were under a boil order. And they dont have a fireplace or gas heat either. Its a bit hard to boil water with no electricity. (It was impossible.) Anyway, its all past now. And springtime is just around the corner for you too! Lookin forward to new pics!

Attachments

• 20210216_112715.jpg
    20210216_112715.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 26
I can't even imagine that cold in my house. I lost power for six hours during that storm as it was barreling its way down to Texas. That's normal for a mountain area with tall pines that bring down power lines every time we have a storm. But I was unphased as I have a wood stove and plenty of firewood. Plus, I don't have a TV so I experienced no deprivation in that department. My chickens are in an enclosed run so they were not too uncomfortable, except for the oldest hens that enjoy standing under a heat lamp when it gets into the single digits.

Azygous, you said a few posts back that you were massaging May’s thigh and it had atrophy. Did you continue massaging and have you noticed a difference?

I’ve read through the May story from beginning to end and you ALL are a great resource to share and re-read. Lots of things I didn’t even know about humans. 😆 As I turned 50 in July, I have noticed more mouth soars than I have ever had previously.. and yes, you can spread shingles, if you scratch them open. It’s not highly contagious, but still. If anyone is willing to try, chicken pox relief essential oil might work out for shingles symptoms and keep the scarring to a minimum. Ravensara is the recommended e-oil really.

Back on topic... it’s so heartwarming to see the progression of May and what you have done for her and will do for the others if necessary. Thank you for sharing and I hope you continue to update us!!

May the summer warmth come soon for us all!!

I mean geewhiz, then we can complain about how humid it is instead of how cold it is 🤣

This morning, May seemed to be in some discomfort, but it's below freezing, and we're all uncomfortable. The chickens in my flock that are experiencing some sort of health or age issue usually are reluctant to take the plunge out of the relative warmth of their coops, so I provide food and water for them inside so they can ease into the cold day at their own speed.

It also helps entice them out of the coops when they see the heat lamps are on. The oldest flock members are stationed under the heat until the sun gathers enough strength to shine through the run panels to warm the run up. Su-su and May take full advantage of their heat lamp in the Australorp run. I still have the capacity to marvel at Su-su's enduring relationship with May. They seem at times to be joined at the hip. May was standing on one leg, favoring her right foot, so it seems to be giving her trouble this morning.

Attachments

• ED322349-0877-4E49-A437-19FD1751C254.jpeg
    ED322349-0877-4E49-A437-19FD1751C254.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 25
  • F5303F4F-1C2A-47B3-8063-25DC982C3795.jpeg
    F5303F4F-1C2A-47B3-8063-25DC982C3795.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom