Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Wow. What an amazing thread!!!

Question: When not on medication do you eat the eggs of your chickens with Leukosis. Since it can be passed through to the egg I was wondering if they are safe to eat?

I too have been dealing with partial paralyzed chickens since November of 2022. I've lost 2 chickens. The necropsy on one of my chickens did not turn up anything suspicious. It was very odd.

One of my still living silkie chickens (Miracle), about 6 months old and on the verge of leaving this world, I took to the vet. I made her a chicken chair, sling, etc. Vet provided a steroid shot and all was well. Again back in April she went lame. I thought maybe a fracture, but vet confirmed there was no issue there. Suspect Mereks.

All my other 25 chickens are doing well. I've since had broody mamas hatch 5 more babies who, at this time, seem fine.

Yes, eating eggs from hens with LL is perfectly safe as the LL virus is not inclined to want to corrupt human cells. Viruses have definitely preferences as to the host they want to inhabit.

A necropsy after the chicken dies is the most reliable way to detect if an avian virus is responsible. There are common markers for the two main viruses. The leucosis virus most often causes a grossly enlarged liver, usually with cancer lesions. The Marek's virus usually affects the sciatic nerve and the lab will easily see that it's grossly inflamed.

Generally, the leucosis virus causes symptoms in exposed chicks at around ages four to eleven months. The Marek's virus most often shows itself earlier at around eight to ten weeks.

My lone survivor April seems to be failing. Very slowly. She probably has tumors, but she's mostly behaving normally.

She's become uninterested in eating, however, and is losing weight. So I've been bringing her in for a special feeding in the mornings. She will nibble and then lose interest. If I sit with her and talk to her while she eats, she eats more. April is very sociable and is always chattering to me.

When she has stopped eating any more, I take her and her unfinished egg back to the run and place her in the jail to finish. As I open the gate to this pen, the two Buttercups, Shorty and Scotty zip into the pen and all three then finish off the egg.

I know the drill with LL. April may not see another winter.
A666086C-AC79-4477-A7DD-AA51162D792B.jpeg

My lone survivor April seems to be failing. Very slowly. She probably has tumors, but she's mostly behaving normally.

She's become uninterested in eating, however, and is losing weight. So I've been bringing her in for a special feeding in the mornings. She will nibble and then lose interest. If I sit with her and talk to her while she eats, she eats more. April is very sociable and is always chattering to me.

When she has stopped eating any more, I take her and her unfinished egg back to the run and place her in the jail to finish. As I open the gate to this pen, the two Buttercups, Shorty and Scotty zip into the pen and all three then finish off the egg.

I know the drill with LL. April may not see another winter.View attachment 3503631
May your last days together be filled with love and joy.

Back
Top Bottom