Flesh wounds; what can i use from walgreens/drugstore, etc...

FishaRneKed

Songster
8 Years
May 11, 2014
I came home, Stray dogs chewed up the back sides of 3 hens. one may have a punctured lung. but mostly flesh wounds.

What can I use from the drugstore/ walmart, etc. The feed stores wont be open until Monday (today is Saturday)

Last week my very old boston terrier (rocket) was going downhill and my "herding dog" Staffordshire terrier was really sad (repo). So, I took repo to a friends house to play with his foxhound buddy while I put rocket down.

Anyway I live on the edge of the suburbs next to the woods and while Repo was gone, an opossum and Raccoon ate all the eggs and when I came home today I was attacked by two stray dogs and all my girls were missing... I went and got Repo, and we found all the girls one at a time hiding burrowed in the brush.

three of them were fine, just scarred, the other three are tore up.

What can I apply to the wounds from the drug store over the counter?

they are in a kennel in the garage with food/water

Thanks, Eddie

Triple Antibiotic Cream ORIGINAL STRENGTH , preferably the store brand WITH NO PAIN RELIEVER (the pain relieving ingredients can prove poisonous to poultry). Also buy some iodine to clean out the wounds initially.

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide to irrigate the wounds. Dilute it with an equal amount of water and flush out the wounds really well, especially getting into any punctures. Use this for initially flushing out the wounds but don't use it as the wounds are healing because it can be hard on new tissue. Punctures can be flushed with a needleless syringe if you have one, or use an ear bulb or oral syringe that you can get at any pharmacy.

Povidone Iodine (Betadine) is an antiseptic wash that you can wash the wound with and continue to apply as the wound heals.

Antibiotic ointment like Neosporin can be applied to the surface of the wound and squirted into punctures.

If you need to cover any wounds, use non-stick gauze pads--big ones that will cover the whole wound. Wrap with self-adhesive bandaging. I think Johnson & Johnson makes one. It's the human equivalent of Vet Wrap.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I have a friend bringing Neosporin, and I have peroxide and a turkey injector syringe (appropriately LOL)

Then I have wild dogs to get rid of...

I'll post up the girls progress later in the week

Thanks again.

You can "flood" the kennel with red light it would be helpful to cover any spots the may want to pick... you can close wounds with super glue if you need to using hydrogen peroxide on wounds longer than the first day can actually demote healing and destroy the healthy cell repairing the tissue. Fight shock: warm, dark, quiet, & hydrate...

They were all alive this morning.

Its quite a bit of damage, I am surprised they didn't bleed out in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom