Fleshy deposits found in nestbox, has my chicken thrown her ovaries?!?

FranBaker

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Hi,
On two occasions my mother has found a sausage shaped pinkish/white mass in our ex free range chickens nest box. After doing research we found out that it was likely to be a 'lash', signalling that one or more of the chickens were coming to the end of their laying days. Unfortunately all but one of this flock were killed by a fox, so we introduced a new flock of Welsummer pullets and a cockrel to join the lone chicken (and better security!!).

Today my mother found these fleshy deposits in a pile in the chick coop, and again after some research I came across the term 'throwing an ovary', that some chickens actually deposit their ovaries.

Apart from the initial stress of the new flock arriving, the old chicken seems in perfect health (I am assuming that it is the old chicken that produced this, not the pullets).

I am keen to know how common this is and any further information on the matter. If this will be detrimental to the chickens life, and if there is anything we can do to help her?
Or even if you beleive the deposit is something else?

Thankyou very much,
I would really appreciate anyones advice,

Francesca

99851_chicken_mass.jpg

What diet are your bird's on?
Do they have oyster shell available?
Hard to tell but this material could be egg matter.
JJ

Yes they have a good diet of layers pellets and corn with oyster shell always.

On another forum someone mentioned it could be an 'albumen cast' of the reprductive system of the bird that has built up over time.

Whilst someone else said it looks likt her actual reproductive system has been expelled.

But how on earth could they do that? Surely its 'wired' in with blood vessels and muscles and couldn't be dropped out like that. I'd love to know the answer!

Could still be egg matter from an egg or eggs gone wrong.....or who knows what! Whatever it is, looks like it was a good idea that it got out! JJ

Yuck, I'm surprised there is anything left of the chicken that made that deposit. It looks like everything that should be inside, came out.

i once found a strange mass that i think was egg matter. It looked like the thing on the left of the picture. But you've got all sorts of stuff going on there. Looks like the hen gave herself a hysterectomy. i guess as long as she is eating and drinking and acting normal, you shouldn't worry too much. Maybe someone with more experience will pipe in here soon.

Back
Top Bottom