Flip Over Syndrome in duckling

HomesteadDucks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2015
Hi guys,

I have 13 Khaki Campbell Ducklings along with 2 Goslings and 3 chicks. They're all doing fine except for this one duckling. She tries her very best to run around with the other ducklings but is noticeably lacking in size when compared to the others. She tends to shake when she stands and flips over onto her back when she walks. What is this? What can I do to help? And do you think this will pass with proper care?

She has been separated from the rest of the birds just in case this is a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection. She's in a different room on a different floor and the watered and feeders have been sanitized. I will try to nurse this lil guy back to health but if things don't get better I think it be most humane to kill her. Somebody please give me your thoughts on what might be happening.

Last edited:
She has been separated from the rest of the birds just in case this is a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection. She's in a different room on a different floor and the watered and feeders have been sanitized. I will try to nurse this lil guy back to health but if things don't get better I think it be most humane to kill her. Somebody please give me your thoughts on what might be happening.
You maybe able to give her supportive care by adding some thing like Poultry Nutri drench to her water. it can also be given right inside the mouth and it goes right to the blood stream.Are you adding any niacin to your ducklings diet that is very important that they get at least 150mgs of niacin a day till at least 10 weeks of age, for leg health and for neurological health. I tried to find some info and there really wasn't anything specific and you may loose her anyway if she is failing to thrive. But I would def try all I can. Most of us have to supplement niacin in the form of nutritional yeast at 1 Tab to each cup of feed or Plain niacin tablets dissolved into a gallon of fresh water then placed in the waterer. It has to be plain niacin though not flush free or time released.The reason being most of us have to feed chick starter and it doesn't have near the amount of niacin that water fowl need.

If she keeps flipping you can take a towel and make it into a donut then place the duckling down into it so it keeps her up right and may help her to be able to eat and drink better.
I would place another duckling in with this lil one just just do so much better if not left alone. Hopefully given some time and supportive vits she may well grow out of it. Can she right herself once she flips onto her back?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I did add nutritional yeast to the her feed as well as the feed of the others. She only eats and drinks when I dip her beak into the water and put feed up to her mouth. She can not right herself when she flips. I have to come in and push her righside up.

Thank you for your response. I did add nutritional yeast to the her feed as well as the feed of the others. She only eats and drinks when I dip her beak into the water and put feed up to her mouth. She can not right herself when she flips. I have to come in and push her righside up.
So she would benefit from the donut if you can just let her be in it when you can't be with her. How old is she she looks like a 1st week duckling.

Yes she hatched Tuesday. The others have already grown significantly but she is the size she was on Day 1.

Yes she hatched Tuesday. The others have already grown significantly but she is the size she was on Day 1.
She may have failure to thrive syndrome, you can look that up. It wouldn't give up on her though. To me until they give up that last breath they are worth working with.

She is safe to put another duckling with her so she won't be lonely.

Did you hatch her or did she come from a hatchery?

She came from a hatchery (Metzer). I would assume they are pretty good with bacteria and parasites. I still want to assure that this isn't a contagious disease before I put another duckling in with it. I wouldn't want to lose a second duck. Do you think this is a valid concern? Perhaps a mirror would do the trick?

She came from a hatchery (Metzer). I would assume they are pretty good with bacteria and parasites. I still want to assure that this isn't a contagious disease before I put another duckling in with it. I wouldn't want to lose a second duck. Do you think this is a valid concern? Perhaps a mirror would do the trick?
A mirror would work. Why not call the hatchery I understand Metzers is great to deal with tell them whats going on and your concerns. I personally don't think it's anything to be concerned about plus they have all been exposed anyway since they all traveled together.

How about pooping is she pooping good/ No crusted bottom?

I do not see any crusty bottom however she is not pooping (not really eating either other than a nibble or two when I try feeding her). I will call Metzer to see what they have to say.

Back
Top Bottom