Unbalanced Duck

FarmerBelle

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2024
Jamaica
Hello everyone, some help please. This duckling is about 3 weeks old, I just looked out my window and saw her flicking about on her back , went to turn her over but she just went flat on her stomach, her wings and feet do not look broken or anything but when she moves its like she is limping or dragging along, I have taken her onto our porch for the time being, does anyone know what maybe wrong ?
20240214_145203.jpg

I could get the chick starter from our local farm store but I don't notice any of the other ducklings experiencing the same issue.
Ducks need niacin while growing and some their whole lives, otherwise they turn out stunted. They really do need real feed and less free ranging and very little corn.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

All ducklings need to be supplemented with niacin and when one is already showing signs of a deficiency the best thing to get them through it is Liquid B Complex TSC carries one called Durvet liquid he will need this daily and since you have him separated put the liquid over a small amount of feed so you are sure the duckling get the full dose. And please at 3 weeks old they need a balanced diet either duckling starter or chick starter. Niacin deficiency will kill if not treated. Once you get the duckling back to normal then use either the rest of the b complex for all your ducklings or add Nutritional yeast to their feed daily until at least 12 weeks old and possibly for life if they are large breed. The link gives dose the age of duckling. It would be a good idea to give it to all your ducklings. IMG_2710.jpeg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

All ducklings need to be supplemented with niacin and when one is already showing signs of a deficiency the best thing to get them through it is Liquid B Complex TSC carries one called Durvet liquid he will need this daily and since you have him separated put the liquid over a small amount of feed so you are sure the duckling get the full dose. And please at 3 weeks old they need a balanced diet either duckling starter or chick starter. Niacin deficiency will kill if not treated. Once you get the duckling back to normal then use either the rest of the b complex for all your ducklings or add Nutritional yeast to their feed daily until at least 12 weeks old and possibly for life if they are large breed. The link gives dose the age of duckling. It would be a good idea to give it to all your ducklings.View attachment 3748250
Thank you, you guys have been very helpful. I'm glad I asked here!

Agree with everyone who has chimed in. Domestic babies need more than free-range and corn. Try to find a duckling specific feed and definitely supplement with vitamin B complex - in particular make sure this duckling gets everything it needs, so maybe that means keeping her contained with a buddy. Some ducklings bodies just need more...

Back
Top Bottom