Ashleegilbert

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Valley WA
My flock has been showing symptoms for a while now, I’ve tried all the natural remedies I could find (ACV, Garlic) as well as vetrx in their water. It seems to help for a day, then it’s back to normal. Symptoms include sneezing, open mouth breathing, bubbly eyes, deaths in a few, gurgling (rooster especially). On another thread I read about denegaurd, which I’ve purchased and am waiting for it to arrive by mail. My question is, how young of a chick can have that? I have 2 salmon favorelles (hatched 2 days ago) under my silkie, who has now started to show symptoms as well. I’d like to treat the entire flock (about 50) including the babies if possible. Yes I know it won’t cure them, only their symptoms, I have a now closed flock due to this :( and just want them to be comfortable until they pass of old age here at home. I considered culling but can’t bring myself to kill so many birds just so I can have more come and go. Help, opinions, share your experiences please!

Most people are telling me to cull, beings all of the new hens I’ve brought in have had symptoms begin within days of moving here, so I cannot get more birds, or let them leave the property. I’ve been researching for the last month almost daily and crd is the only thing I’ve found that fits their symptoms.

Ashley, according to the Chicken Health Handbook and online sources, this is a bacterial disease (just clarifying) so why not treat the flock with natural antibiotics? You can buy [cheap] echinacea/goldenseal capsules at walmart or any drug store. They act the same way pharmaceutical antibiotics do except they don't destroy the healthy flora of the birds' system. Also crushed Vitamin C tablets are awesome. There's so much you can do to help them. Don't give up.

Awesome thank you, I’ll go ahead and treat the entire flock including the wee babies then! I’m terrified the momma showing symptoms will get them before it arrives in the mail! I called every local feed/farm store around here and no one carries it!
Yeah, it's not the type of drug that feed stores stock. :(

I think testing would be a good idea to find out what you are dealing with.
Mycoplasma (CRD) makes the flock carriers for life. It is one of the few respiratory diseases that can be transmitted into the embryo of hatching eggs as well.

There is no cure for MG. Some people try to "manage" symptoms with Denagard - it would be administered 3days out of each month.

You may have outbreaks during times of stress - molting, weather changes, flock disruptions, etc. Keeping water stations cleaned, coop dust down and making sure housing has proper ventilation especially in winter may be helpful to reduce symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom