Flooded goose

The goose girl

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Denmark
Just want to share this:

All the snow is finally melting around here. And that's a good thing. But with the ground frozen, all the water gathers around my house. Right now my lawn is under 4-8 inches of water, and I had to turn the freezer off in the shed because the shed is flooded, too.

I thought this would be paradise for my goose. All that water to swim and bathe and play in! But no, he seems uncomfortable and wants in all the time. It's not that it's a problem; he is used to wearing a diaper when he's inside the house, but I'm completely puzzled by this. For the last two weeks he's only been in the house 2 or three times a day to eat. Then, after 5 or 10 minutes, he starts honking and I let him out again. But all that water seems to freak him out.

I did tell him he's a waterfowl!
big_smile.png

It is raining cats and dogs here and my geese are having a ball digging and swinging their beaks back and forth in the puddles this morning. When it is cold outside they come up to the door and sleep. I have a house for them but my porch seems to be their favorite parking spot. I guess our geese are just very social and want their mommas (us)
smile.png

I have opened my front door but neither the geese or chickens would ever consider coming into the house. guess they know this is my coop and off limits to them.

My geese were FUMING from the rain after day 3. Day 1 and 2 YAY WE CAN PLAY IN THE WATER... Day 3? "This is all YOUR fault, Mother. We know you told the sky to rain on us. LOOK AT US WE'RE SOGGY AND WE'RE GEESE! We hate you so much, Mother. THIS IS YOUR FAULT." I had two soggy dripping cranky geese for a week - and I swear they really did think I caused all of it.

Quote:
Oh yes, only about one third of the property was flooded. And he has a house and a tent (which he never uses).

BTW, he often sleeps in his bath pan, either sitting in the one inch of water or standing up.

But I think I've solved the puzzle: This morning I found EGGS! His first eggs! I'm soooo excited!
wee.gif

And I'm guessing the reason why he was acting weird was that his nest was flooded. Sorry, he has a boy's name, so I keep saying he. But he is definitely a she.

It wasn't much of a nest, more like a semicircle of twigs. One egg was completely squashed, one was cracked, but the third one is perfect. I've cleaned it and want to put his name and today's date on it and keep it on a shelf forever. If he laid an egg today, and they lay an egg every other day, he must have laid his first egg on the 13th, his 7 months birthday (hatchday?).

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first eggs! and thank you for clarifying everything I was getting a bit puzzled when you were saying he then started talking about eggs,
lau.gif

My geese love the water when THEY want it. This means they can go to the pond whenever they want but they like to be able to leave the water when they want to. It's been raining since yesterday, and most of the time they are just standing around looking pitiful.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom