flooding solutin in run

RockwaterFarm

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
East Hartland, CT
The last time it rained really hard in Connecticut my whole run was flooded. I forgot that the ground freezes in Northern Connecticut. My ducks loved it, first "pond" they have ever been in. My chickens on the other hand hate to get wet. well i was really fed up wit having to shovel water into a wheel burrow and haul it out. I was talking to my granpa and he said to dig a trench from the middle of the run to the outside of the run. It hadn't raine hard since so i really never got a chance to test it. Well yesterday it poured all day long. I was hoping the trench was doing its job. But then i remebered i forgot to clear the snow away from the opening. Well i got home and went straight out there. And to my surprise, the water was leaving the run. There was still a puddle but it was only a little one in the center of the run. I cleared the snow away from the opening and realized that the water was going right underneath it.

So if anyone has flooding problems in their run, try didgging a trench. I first tried to solve it by replacing the clay soil with sand. It works fine in the warm monthes but still froze in the winter. Hope this helps someone.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom