Flooding

We had horrible rain storms for hours yesterday. The chicks and hens were dry in their respective coops. The run areas were under a few inches of water, which drained once the rain stopped. The chicks ran out into the run as it started to drain and began fighting over worms that were coming out of the ground. DH dug worms last week and found the small ones, so Moma hen could show the chicks they were yummy. Well they learned that lesson quick and were on the hunt in the run yesterday evening.
Funny about the worms! Mine haven't yet figured that out. They should have plenty once this rain is over. We have had heavy, continuous rain for almost four days now!

DH dug up a small bucket of worms last week, the small to med. small ones he threw in with the chicks. at first they all jumped back, peeping like "what the heck is that, why did you throw them in here, and what are they going to do to us" Mom did the yummy food cluck and pecked at them at bit. Finally the little ones crept closer and one brave chick pecked a worm and jumped back. After mom continuing to cluck the yummy food cluck and pecking some more, they all joined in the feast. It was really funny to watch. It was fun to watch them fight over worms yesterday as well. :love

Right now I just have dried leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, and twigs. I can check around for wood chips...there are tons of lumber companies around. So are there any types of wood I should avoid?

Only wood I believe that must be avoided is black walnut, which is toxic to some animals.

Many tree trimming companies will drop off truckloads of chips for a delivery fee or even for free, as they'd otherwise have to pay to dump it in many areas.

Back
Top Bottom