1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floppy combs normal??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScoobyRoo, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have seen several posts about combs 'falling' over and the owners being concerned. I've noticed that my BO pullet (6mos) has a flopping comb (not as red as the others) but otherwise seems healthy in every other way. She is laying. Should I be concerned? My chickens free range most of the day with free choice of layers pellets, oyster shells and of course veggie and fruit treats. Yes, this is my first batch of chickens so I'm new at this. Thanks in advance for you replies.
    K

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wouldn't worry about it. I have two or three Barred Rock girls who look like someone forgot the starch, LOL. On two of them, their combs lays flat on their heads.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    You should se my blue andalusian. Oh, wait, YOU CAN"T, because her comb covers most of her face. Enjoy the Elvis look.

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my buffo's has a comb that looks like one of those french berets!!! It flops right over...[​IMG]

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks everyone for your replies. You too Speckledhen. I noticed you replied to several of my amateur questions and I greatly appreciate it. This forum has been AWESOME! My next challenge will be getting through the Kansas winter.
    K

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If you've got some birds with big floppy combs, put Vaseline on their combs in the winter a few times a week to protect the points from frostbite.

7. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks for the info chicken lady. I remember reading that somewhere on this forum. I also thought it was to be a certain type of vaseline. Can I use the regular kind and how often does it need to be applied?
    Thanks again!
    K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by