FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Oh
If you are looking for certain breeds and don't mind paying shipping, why not try an online source? I recently got my chicks from http://chickensforbackyards.com/ and I found their customer service and their peeps exceptional. They have over 30 breeds, including Easter Eggers. They are shipping out now with orders only taking a week from when you place them until you get them. Here is a photo of my babies, including Barred Rocks, Australorps and Speckled Sussexes.
oh how cute! I'm looking into it but I can only have one more (after I rehome my - hopefully last- rooster) and online ships in groups. We are good with 4 but they are addicting so I can't help but to look for more

What part of florida u from Ijust hatched 6 sizzles and one amaricana who is frizzledI dont sex them but heres a pic Ilive in lee countyi

Hi from Crazy Town, Bassetgal15! Have you run into the zoning restrictions in town yet? Or are you wisely located outside of town? I live in a neighborhood on the west side of town, where the lots are barely 90ftx110ft.

In town, we have to keep our coops 100ft from the neighbors' homes and they are supposed to be confined to a pen that also must be 100 feet from the neighbors' homes. *sigh*. How do you do that when the houses are less than 100 feet apart back door to back door, and less than 40 feet side to side?

We really need to get that zoning for chickens changed to something reasonable, Like 10 or 15 feet from any property line. We can't control where our neighbors built their houses! (and city hall claims that Lake Helen is farm animal friendly. HA!)
We are within city limits but we have 2.5 acres with woods around and you need a road trip to get to our house from the road so fortunately we don't have to worry about proximity to anyone-that's why we moved here ;). The city is definitely a strange one. It seems like they want to move away from the farm feel and more towards a "historical" approach especially in the more centrally located areas....but seriously, the farms are certainly giving it a lot of charm. We sacrificed house square footage for lot square footage when we bough this place a couple of years ago and don't regret it.
1f413.png

LOL! You got that right. This IS a strange town. They want the charm without the reality. They want to be Disney-esque. Actually probably 90% of non-working-farm towns in FL want to be like Disney - look historical but not have the reality. I blame it on the city folk who come here. They're so far removed from reality, it isn't funny. I met a man at Disney who was telling his daughter that the Blue Heron standing on the rocks by the river boat dock was animatronic because it didn't fly away. It was after dark, and the bird was a live heron. Since no one was near the bird, it had no reason to move away from its perch (the birds at Disney ignore patrons there anyway as long as the patrons cannot reach them.)

Glad you bought a place you can stretch out in. We could only afford a Farm Home Admin house 36 years ago, but really wanted acreage They would not help with acquiring more land than a lot to build a house on, and to qualify for help getting acreage, you had to have working experience in commercial farming (you know - where animals are crammed into tiny spaces or you only grow one crop) So we are still looking, but probably won't get our farm in this lifetime. I grew up in cities and have had enough of them. They are fine for shopping and entertainment, but I don't like my neighbors up under my skirt pr breathing down my neck.

Maybe we'll run into one another some day.

LOL! You got that right. This IS a strange town. They want the charm without the reality. They want to be Disney-esque. Actually probably 90% of non-working-farm towns in FL want to be like Disney - look historical but not have the reality. I blame it on the city folk who come here. They're so far removed from reality, it isn't funny. I met a man at Disney who was telling his daughter that the Blue Heron standing on the rocks by the river boat dock was animatronic because it didn't fly away. It was after dark, and the bird was a live heron. Since no one was near the bird, it had no reason to move away from its perch (the birds at Disney ignore patrons there anyway as long as the patrons cannot reach them.)

Glad you bought a place you can stretch out in. We could only afford a Farm Home Admin house 36 years ago, but really wanted acreage They would not help with acquiring more land than a lot to build a house on, and to qualify for help getting acreage, you had to have working experience in commercial farming (you know - where animals are crammed into tiny spaces or you only grow one crop) So we are still looking, but probably won't get our farm in this lifetime. I grew up in cities and have had enough of them. They are fine for shopping and entertainment, but I don't like my neighbors up under my skirt pr breathing down my neck.

Maybe we'll run into one another some day.

I grew up rural. We actually had a campground where there were farms all around us. I was able to raise some chickens but eventually had to get rid of my flock. We moved from Michigan to Florida. This was about 50 years ago. We rented the first few years and eventually bought a home in St. Pete. We lived in it for 27 years, sold the house and bought some acreage near Ocala Florida. I started raising chickens again. We looked and looked for a place and actually knew the woman we bought from. She was a former real estate broker and instructor. We went to see her to ask her for a recommendation for a realtor. She was getting older and alone and was planning on moving to another state to move in with her daughter. She was anxious to sell and we had been looking for months and was anxious to buy, so it all worked out. Don't give up. If you are going to finance you may be able to find some programs you can qualify for. I was a real estate broker a long time ago when we lived in St Pete. I haven't kept up but when I was in it there were a lot of programs being offered to help people buy homes. You just have to be persistent and keep looking. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
That's awesome CMOM!
I am thinking that we won't be able to afford property around here. Everyone here thinks their property is worth a million dollars, even when it obviously is not. I really don't want to move to be near relatives because they all live in cities and are quite happy being in the middle of things.
I will have chickens again, one day. We will have our little farm one day. Just not today.
I think what spoiled me is when we were first married we rented 3 acres and a run down shack in the sticks and everyone around us had horses or cows or chickens. We were the only home on our side of the street. Sadly, that area is all industrial and interstate now.
Some day. :)

That's awesome CMOM!
I am thinking that we won't be able to afford property around here. Everyone here thinks their property is worth a million dollars, even when it obviously is not. I really don't want to move to be near relatives because they all live in cities and are quite happy being in the middle of things.
I will have chickens again, one day. We will have our little farm one day. Just not today.
I think what spoiled me is when we were first married we rented 3 acres and a run down shack in the sticks and everyone around us had horses or cows or chickens. We were the only home on our side of the street. Sadly, that area is all industrial and interstate now.
Some day. :)
Behind our house we grew up in was a 40 acre pasture for the horses. There is now a school there.

Back
Top Bottom