1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fluff Trimming Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wolfbaine30, Mar 28, 2009.

1. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Can some one please explain to me how to " trim fluff" ? I am clueless on this matter and would like anybodys information on this,photos,etc. Thank You,Kevin

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, Kev. On the males, you pluck the fluff under the vent and on the females, you pluck the fluff over the vent. Helps if someone else holds them. you can cut the feathers, but that leaves irritating "spikes" sometimes. Best to grab a few feathers near their base and pull quickly. Pluck till you can see the vent area clearly.

3. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Thank you Cynthia. I guess I need to do that with a few of my guys and gals. I was wondering how to do it since I never done it before.

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Just wondering, does it bleed sometimes when you pluck? I've got some bantam Cochins that need to be trimmed. If plucking is better, I'd rather do that. But do I need to have anything on hand in case of bleeding? I've never trimmed, so I'm new at this too.

Thanks,

Paula:)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they don't usually bleed any. You have to pluck hard and fast or it is more uncomfy for them, like easier to rip off a bandaid than to peel it slowly. I dont have to even think of doing this to anyone except the Blue Orpingtons.

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    What is the purpose of doing this?
    I can imagine my hens giving a real big scream at me!!!

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Quote:to increase fertility, some breeds like cochins have so much feathers around their vents they can't really hit the right spot, that's the price you pay when you have those gorgeous rumps

8. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Ahh so it's no use to me if I don't breed?
    Does it help with laying or should I not worry :}

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:to increase fertility, some breeds like cochins have so much feathers around their vents they can't really hit the right spot, that's the price you pay when you have those gorgeous rumps

[​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I thought if you plucked the feathers they would grow back but if you trimmed them you were set until the next molt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by