Trimming chicken poopy butt fluff without injury

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello and good morning chicken friends. I have a chicken that has mostly runny poops which leave her feathers yucky. I have bathed her in the past but would like to trim the fluff and my concern is how far can i trim without causing injury? Thank you kindly šŸ“ā¤ļø

You can trim almost the whole feather, but I wouldn't do that. As if you trim too far her droppings will probably start getting on the skin somewhat and cause irritation.
So maybe trim the feathers half way?

I feel your pain. I have 3 lemon cuckoo niederrheiners all with great talent for poopy cling-onā€™s on their extraordinarily fluffy butts. Two of the hens get extra poopy because of short legs so need a biweekly butt spa. I donā€™t know what it is about them.. they just donā€™t squat enough ?:confused:
I trimmed their fluff in the projected line of fire but not to the point of leaving no fluff on those feather shafts otherwise poop will cake on skin.

I feel your pain. I have 3 lemon cuckoo niederrheiners all with great talent for poopy cling-onā€™s on their extraordinarily fluffy butts. Two of the hens get extra poopy because of short legs so need a biweekly butt spa. I donā€™t know what it is about them.. they just donā€™t squat enough ?:confused:
I trimmed their fluff in the projected line of fire but not to the point of leaving no fluff on those feather shafts otherwise poop will cake on skin.
I see.....i already trimmed them hoping it would help but her stools are very loose. They have been for awhile. The situation causes redness to her skin on her bottom! I guess the more fluff the better. If it were dry, i would just grab her and 'flake it off' i worry for the upcoming summer and flies and such. Thanks for input; greatly appreciated. The fluff will stay and 'check ups' on skin continue.

Back
Top Bottom