Fluffy Butt Emergency šŸšØšŸ†˜

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Hi everyone! Forgive me for the long post and Iā€™m sorry if you feel I did wrong. So i purchased some silkies off craigslist (total of 5). The seller sent me pictures of the flock and they all looked great. We finally meet up, and as Iā€™m taking them out the crate I noticed immediately that they werenā€™t in a good healthy stage. I know I shouldā€™ve called her out on it because I didnā€™t want her to get away with it and possibly do it again since she said she had 30 plus Silkies and other breeds. But I ended up bringing them home. I felt selfish for doing so and at the same time sincerely felt obligated to get them knowing that theyā€™re going back to the filthy cruel place they were kept in, possibly wouldnā€™t even make it through the night cause there was a storm approaching that night. I quickly set up their spot to be separate from my flock so they wouldnā€™t catch what they have. Theyā€™re all so small and light, their crop is empty. One has foamy runny whiteish poop, the rest are pooping firm green poop. 3 are sneezing/coughing and even have little bubbly liquid coming out the inner corner of their eyes. Snotty nostrils, One was throwing up water and something slimy when I would carry her. I believe it was from all the water she drank from being dehydrated. One has a bad eye, it was crusted and stuck shut but I cleaned it a bit and is now open. I think she might even be blind from that eye. Their toenails were so long and curled. I cleaned them all up, clipped their little nails, gave them apple cider vinegar water and feed. Let them get some rest. I wanted to give them a small bath to get rid of all the crap they have on them but thought it may stress them more. Theyā€™re up and eating and drinking now but still coughing/sneezing. Any advice on how to help, if yā€™all have had any of the same symptoms with your feathered friends. I highly appreciate every one of you. Hereā€™s some pictures of them right when we got home.

Eye that was shut. Looks cloudy now which is why I believe she may be blind or partially blind from it. Also when I put my hand close to that she wonā€™t flinch like she does with the other. And the little bubbles coming out.

B7021692-3CD3-41CC-8417-0D66A0F2175E.jpeg

Her face is the puffiest of the flock. Also has little bubbles in both eyes.
FC134E7A-B074-4187-B6C4-1E6F23E11B96.jpeg

Crusty/clogged nostrils.
551ED313-4722-4C97-953F-60717DA1D429.jpeg

Dingleberries on her little feet.
5D1DBA6C-47C7-4523-8E2B-CACAFA53D5A3.jpeg

I definitely know the feeling of wanting to get animals away from neglectful owners so I can't blame you for taking them in. Can you clip the junky feathers off? I don't have experience with silkies so I don't know about normal upkeep. Id be worried if the sneezing and all is due to a respiratory infection. I'd just keep them warm and give nutri drench or poultry cell and definitely separate from existing flock. Along with using different clothing/material when you handle them and your other birds. Reduce the risk of transferring any germs as much as you can

I've never seen a chicken with such a horribly curled toenail either. I dont want to swear on BYC but that lady is something else

These chickens most likely have a chronic respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. If you have other chickens or want to have a healthy flock in the future, these birds will infect them. The eyes need to be cleaned with saline eye was, and you can get Terramycin eye ointment to apply 2-3 times a day. Make sure to clean any pus out. Warm wet eye compresses can help to soften the crusty eyes. Keep them warm while doctoring them because sick chickens canā€™t keep warm. Tylosin powder can be bought online from Jedds.com and treat for MG.

You didn't do "wrong", but wise? That's the debatable question.

@Eggcessive nailed it. You have a contagious respiratory disease on your hands that could easily infect what other chickens you may have. That's the part that's debatable whether you did a wise thing by taking these chickens, although any of us probably would have had the same response you did and feel sorry for them and want to rescue them.

You will need to be super careful as @CoconutCoffee says and remove clothing and wash hands well before seeing to your other chickens or they may also get this disease. It's contagious as long as any show symptoms.

You can clean up these chickens and trim the nails and treat the respiratory infection, but they will always carry it. People like the woman who sold them to you prey on other people's caring instincts when they peddle neglected animals. They are only money to them. To stop these scum, responsible people should, instead of buying animals from them in order to "rescue" them should instead notify animal rescue and they will do the rescuing as well as see to it the scum is prosecuted for animal cruelty.

I definitely know the feeling of wanting to get animals away from neglectful owners so I can't blame you for taking them in. Can you clip the junky feathers off? I don't have experience with silkies so I don't know about normal upkeep. Id be worried if the sneezing and all is due to a respiratory infection. I'd just keep them warm and give nutri drench or poultry cell and definitely separate from existing flock. Along with using different clothing/material when you handle them and your other birds. Reduce the risk of transferring any germs as much as you can

I've never seen a chicken with such a horribly curled toenail either. I dont want to swear on BYC but that lady is something else
Thank you, I donā€™t regret getting them at all šŸ„ŗ. I did think of clipping the affected feathers off but I thought maybe trying to soak her little feet in some warm soapy water and hopefully the poop melts off. That way she can keep her beautiful foot feathering.

Back
Top Bottom