FLYSTRIKE!! I need info *GRAPHIC PHOTO

Pics
Fought a brutal war with maggots a few summers ago. My mother could stick her finger all the way to her second knuckle into the hole those nasty things ate into one of our production reds. It took a bit but she survived, lots of iodine and hydrogen peroxide if I remember correctly...yeah after using tweezers to pick the maggots out of the cavity of that poor bird I can safely say maggots are possibly the NASTIEST CREATURES EVER....ok jeez I’ve got the heeby jeebies just thinking about them. I hope your poor dude makes it. I can have my mom get on here and talk about what she did and how she did it if you think it would be helpful. Sounds like you have it under control though. Sending good vibes to you and your rooster :)
My skin crawls for a couple hours after I'm treating my roo..lol these things are NASTY. Super nasty. Its unreal..I feel like I have it somewhat under control. But after seeing them move from the wound to his back I'm not sure what to think at the moment..I will check him before bed tonight and see if theres anymore crawling on him. I was afraid of them going somewhere else on his body and that's just what they did. But thank you so much for the support. I definitely need it

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I'm trying to do everything I can for him
I am also dealing with an injured chicken and it’s so hard emotionally, at least it is on me! I am the one who was/am dealing with treating my hen, not my husband and he just doesn’t understand but know we all are here for you! No one told me that owning chickens would involve this kind of thing, but I guess it’s all a part of chickenhood and no matter what we are learning how to treat injuries that unfortunately we may (hopefully not) have to face again, but we will be better equipped to deal with it. I just told my friend who was asking about my chickens that it’s funny how big of a deal something seems until you’ve done it and then it suddenly becomes less of a big deal. I’ll keep checking for updates :hugs

Back
Top Bottom