Foamed eyes.

ScottLee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Noticed one of my big hens has foam on both of her eyes today and sometime she is sneazing/couthing. Shes eating and drinking and seems ok, any ideas ?

Chronic respiratory disease (CRD) possibly, or Coryza or a few other things. Coryza usually smells bad. If you havent already, separate her from the flock. Anything that causes those symptoms is highly contagious and can make them carriers of the disease for life, able to infect other birds. Depending on your philosophy, you can treat with antibiotics or cull. My choice is to cull and hope no one else was infected. Have you added new birds from another source recently? If so, did you do the one month quarantine?

Hi - I'm having the same symptoms with a few of my chickens, too. I did add 6 new RIR a couple of weeks ago, but they are perfectly fine. They are not sick at all.
This happened overnight, a few days ago, when the temps got unseasonably cold. Like 29 degrees.

They have never had a cold with wheezing before. I'm giving them terrymicyn (I know I spelled that wrong). A couple of them seem to be getting a little better.

Quote:
3 new birds i added together around 4 momnthes ago, symptons only just apeared, i cleaned her eyes up with some salt water. its dark now so i have to check on her again in the morning to see how her condition is.

2 of the new birds seemed to "snot" a little since ive had them , they seem to have there upper beaks cut off tho, "maybe they was battery hens" before i rescued them.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. South Jersey. Foamy one is a de-beaked (?) RIR, added to the flock three-four weeks ago. She's coming off a moult. Thanks for the advice.

I just sent replied with this same post to another person with the same issue...

If you can not take the time or spend the money to take the chicken to an avian vet, try Tylan 50 or 200 (injected)... I had the same problem and it worked -- it is an antibiotic particularly effective against chicken respiratory infections. Typical standard sized chicken 1 cc Tylan 50 or 1/4 cc Tylan 200. Inject in the neck with the needle facing towards the body. Tylan is available through Jeffers, Randall Burkey, etc.

Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks, im in the UK and dont have access to a avian vet, i tryed before whnei had a dieing bird. Is ther eany otehr way to give her the medicine? im not comofrtable with injecting her as i might miss or mess up and make the bird worse off.

Also does anyone know wher ei can get this medicine?

You can get Tylan at any feedstore. It must be injected. If I managed it, anyone can do it. It does not hurt the chicken, none of mine ever reacted like it was painful. You must inject in the neck with the needle in the direction of the body. repeat in 10 days. Be brave -- you can do this!

Back
Top Bottom