Follows me then lays an egg in the drive way?

Kylea0219

Chirping
Feb 10, 2015
Varysburg, NY
This is the 2nd times my hen has followed me around then laid a random egg next to me. She was one of my first layers and has used the nest boxes before. I'm not sure why she wants to lay eggs next to me. Any one ever have this happen? I was stacking extra lumber in my drive way and a foot from my feet I look over and she's in egg laying stance and plop egg on the driveway. I carried her to the nest boxes 15 minutes earlier because she was making egg noises next to me and getting all snuggled up.

That's kind of cute actually.
smile.png

I guess she feels safe near you, like some hens may lay with a rooster watching over them.

She is the friendliest it's my husbands favorite chicken that keeps doing this. It was just funny. But I really don't want her to make a habit of it cuz she broke her egg today by dropping it on the pavement.

My hens lay shelless eggs out on the drive-way and then eat them like they are starving to death. It is frustrating!

She is the friendliest it's my husbands favorite chicken that keeps doing this. It was just funny. But I really don't want her to make a habit of it cuz she broke her egg today by dropping it on the pavement.
Maybe she just prefers your company rather than sit around by herself in the coop, lol. My Turkey hen, Gertrude, is like that. I have to keep her penned until she has laid her egg for the day as she prefers to follow me around if I am in the yard. I always know when she is about to lay because she makes the same sound each time.

My hens lay shelless eggs out on the drive-way and then eat them like they are starving to death. It is frustrating!
If they are "shelless" they may need more calcium. My chickens will fight each other to consume a broken egg doesn't matter if they are hungry or not. Eggs probably taste pretty yummy to them.

If they are "shelless" they may need more calcium. My chickens will fight each other to consume a broken egg doesn't matter if they are hungry or not. Eggs probably taste pretty yummy to them.

Thank you for the advise.
smile.png

I bought some new oyster shells to help them, since they keep sneaking chick food and so might not be getting enough calcium. My chickens adore eggs! I had to get rid of an egg eater that broke them to eat them.

I was holding one of my hens last week and by hold I mean she was perching on my hand. I thought she was enjoying a quick pet for a bit longer than normal when she arched her back a little and then an egg fell out.

The chooks see you as the flock boss and want to lay near you because they know they are safe. If she egg songs next to you lock her in the coop for hour or so then let her out after she has layed

Back
Top Bottom