food and water in coop

graggy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Hi, I'm getting ready to put my 6 to 7 week old chickens in the coop I made. The coop has a run attatched to it about 25 feet long with a door going into the coop. My questions are should I just keep them in the coop for a couple days without letting them go out in the run or should I just let them go to either place? Will they go back in the coop when it starts to get dark or do I have to put them in for a while until they get used to it? Last question is should I put food and water in the coop and in the run so they can get to it day or night if I shut the door on the coop at night thanks for your help

Let them go in both. They will go back in the coop at night, maybe not at first but when they get ready thet will go. I only kept the food and water in the run and not in coop. I'm new at this and if anyone thinks I'm wrong please let me know.

I put the food/water in coop at night only when they are locked up for bed. Otherwise, if my girls are in the run, and food/water is in coop, they have NO clue and totally forget about it. So when they finally do find it they act starving, so I moved it to wherever they happen to be so they can find it. My chickens are lacking more brain cells then most I think lol

p.s. either that or they enjoy watching me work!

Last edited:
Last night was our girls night in the new coop too, I left the food and water in the run. With a little coaxing we got them in shortly before dark, then this morning they had a reason to want to come out of the hen house.....FOOOOD!!! It was a mad ruch to the feeder as soon as the pop door was opened!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom