Food and water inside, left them in the coop and they were furious!!!

smalltownchicks

Seven Silly Hens
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Well, after some BYC advice I put the food and water in the coop and left them "cooped up" for about 20 hours. My 5 year old went out to check for eggs and one girl almost pecked his eye out. He has a huge red scratch right under his eye. I went out and boy they were all worked up. They were pecking at me and grumbling. I went ahead and let them out for a few hours before it was time to be in again for the evening. This time I only had to go and get 4 of the seven. Better than all 7. I'm hoping they will eventually all go into the coop at night.
They used to, that's the part I just don't get.
Stubborn ladies!
barnie.gif

You will probably need to keep them cooped up for a few days to recalibrate them. They're chickens. They'll get over it. Don't let your 5 year old go out there if you're worried about it.

Keep telling yourself: "I am the human. I am in charge, and I am smarter than a chicken."
big_smile.png

Is your coop inside a pen? If so don't worry about it, they will go in when they are ready. I had some that never went into the coop until it was really cold. Another idea would be to time an evening treat such as scratch/BOSS/Corn with the time most are going into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom