Food and water??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
First, we are just starting the coop. The building will be 7x10 and the roof will extent another 10' and cover a (10'x10') run. The run will be covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. Is it possible to keep the water and food in the run or should I place them in the building? I have electric and running water for auto waters and I will have large hanging feeders. Thank you.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but I keep the food and water outside in the run, unless it's raining, then I put it inside.

Chickaroo! :

I keep the food and water outside in the run, unless it's raining, then I put it inside.

I do the same thing. Is there a way you can put something over the feeder to keep it from getting rain into it? I leave the waterer outside but bring the food into there coop. Maybe you can build something so the rain do make the food soggy​

In large part it depends how long they will be locked into the coop without run access. I'd say if it's any much longer than when they're actually asleep at night, e.g. if you want to sleep in some mornings, then they ought to have at least water available indoors. You may want to alter your strategy with the seasons, too.

Pat

The roof will cover the entire coop and run. (My dh said he didn't want 'me crying because something got my chickens' so it will be totally enclosed!
big_smile.png
) I thought it would be less of a 'headache' to have it out in the run.. Trying to keep the bedding as dry as possible.

Back
Top Bottom