Food questions

I keep my birds on Starter their whole lives. I don't like to feed layer since it has extra calcium. That calcium isn't good for roosters, older hens, molting hens, broody hens, or any hens that aren't laying consistently. Starter is basically the same thing as All Flock, just higher protein which I like. Plus, I feed fermented Scratch and Peck, and they don't have an All Flock feed.

I keep my birds on Starter their whole lives. I don't like to feed layer since it has extra calcium. That calcium isn't good for roosters, older hens, molting hens, broody hens, or any hens that aren't laying consistently. Starter is basically the same thing as All Flock, just higher protein which I like. Plus, I feed fermented Scratch and Peck, and they don't have an All Flock feed.
Good to know I buy meticated chick start for 16 weeks and then the 16 percent calcium then when they got older back to chick starter or that's my plan lol

My answer is probably needlessly complicated. I start my chicks on hatch-to-hen crumble (basically an all flock), then about 2 weeks in I get 1 bag of whole grain mash starter for fermenting. When I run out of starter I switch to a similar grower.

When the chicks begin laying, I switch off the crumble and to a layer pellet and continue with the grower ferment.

I put my chicks and flock on flock raiser when a broody has chicks. I keep them on that until about 14 weeks then switch to layer because I find my egg quality much better on layer.

My roosters are on layer then too. I still get a full 5 years out of my roosters. I know some believe it will cause gout and internal issues. Feed representatives I've talked to say it's fine to have roosters on the layer. I'm not trying to keep my roosters beyond their most fertile years, or layers for that matter. I focus on my chicks and laying hens,and I've had no issues in that 5 years, so I don't worry about layer with roosters or older hens. I'm phasing them out anyway.

If you want simplicity put them all on flock raiser and provide oyster shell on the side. I like the Purina flock raiser as the pellets are mixed size with smaller pieces available for chicks.

Note I've also seen my roosters eat the oyster shell.

Just what I do.

LofMc

I feed... Well, what I do is for complicated reasons which don't apply to the very vast majority of people here on BYC and involves a number of trade offs and some informed risk management. I don't recommend it for others.

Wha t I do recommend, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

Most important is NOT what the feed calls itself on the bag. Most important IS what the nutritional label says, and the mill date.

The choice of medicated or not is informed (or should be) by your particular conditions and grounds.

Back
Top Bottom