For all those worried about shipping to Alaska........

akvagabond

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
I live in a remote village island outside of Juneau, Alaska, the states capital. I had some struggles with chicken egg hatcheries shipping eggs to me, which proved to be quite frustrating as I was looking for some strong lively ranging breeds. I could have gotten farm chickens here but I like the idea of choosing breed standards. Specially with children of all ages in my household(long winters);-).............

Anyways, I finally found some willing, somewhat nervous, sellers. Them being nervous actually made me feel better as it seemed to me they cared for each and every egg and its success. Of the three orders, one came from Florida, placed over the weekend, it was shipped on a Monday morning and arrived on a Thursday Morning. Second order was shipped from Wisconsin on a Tuesday Morning and arrived on a Friday morning. Finally the third order came out of Oregon and was shipped on a Monday morning and arrived on a Wednesday afternoon about 2 P.M. All of the orders were mailed priority mail. I would not order or send UPS or Fed-Ex, nor would I spend the money on Express or Next Day Air Unless it makes you feel better. Unless it is one of the major cities(Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau) I wouldn't bother with the carriers(UPS,Fed-Ex) as they never gaurantee what you paid for and it has been my experience that they tend to try harder to prove themselves right when they tell you they are not sure it will get there on time. I am not trying to be hard on them and advocate for the USPS but I have lived off the grid my whole life and if those guys(UPS,FedEx have to get dirt on their shoes they tend to kick the box, arrows pointing the wrong way, over into the corner for the next shift to notice, or not.........

As far as the USPS goes, every little town has one and they have tended to perfect the way they get mail in and out of town no matter what the weather. I am sure you have all seen an Alaskan show or two in the past few years, there is no shortage of them. We tend to make do with what we got and make the best of every means of transportation or make it up where it isn't. Express mail to Alaska is just a dream. It will never happen and should only be done if you have extra money laying around or it isnt your own cash. Most mail is flown to Alaska anyways from the Continental US. This word seems to be something most shippers like to put on their websites. Continental United States Only!!!! That is a nice 1950's slogan.........it's time to realize that Amazon, ebay, internet, netflix, twitter, facebook is everywhere. I even have my own Prime account!!!!! I order continually on Amazon and ebay and have never had one item EVER take more then 7 days to be delivered, flat screen tv's included....if Priority it shows up within 4 usually 3 days. If you don't need it there before 7 days and like the suspense then I suggest Fed Ex and if you like arguments and vague answers I would go with UPS. If you like tracking numbers and happy customers I would gaurantee USPS and Priority Mail....

My two cents worth and I think it cost more then that in electricity to transfer these random thoughts down. I will candle all three of these deliveries on Saturday and let you guys know if you are interested, just let me know, if not I will sign off and hope this blog entry might help some buyer some day as all of my searches online led me to backyard chickens which I am now a happy newbie member.

But mostly, I hope this entry helps you sellers out there or you might recommend your friends to this entry who sell or if your buying let them know what I have learned and know. Good luck and wish me Luck!!!

Good luck on your hatch. By the way you didn't say what type of chickens you got. I hope they are cold hardy. Did you get the new hedemora's?

I did not get the Hedemoras nor have I heard of them but I am looking them up now. Thank you! I did end up getting some Isbars, Icelandics and some Swedish Hens. If this hatch goes well I will be adding to it \.

I thought you might have chosen Hedemora's because they are suppose to be some of the most cold hardy chickens. That seemed like just the breed for Alaska. Though the Icelandics seem like a perfectly logical choice. I looked at getting Hedemora's myself but our summers are to hot here.

This is the first I have heard of them. Ian doing my research now thank you!!! I am also quite new to chicken raising and taking all advice from my older brother who has raised chickens since we were 10 and he is quite engulfed by this breed!

This is not an easy breed to find outside of GF. Any ideas where to find eggs??? Hedemoras?????

Have you thought of rasising Chantecler, the only chicken breed that was developed in Canada ? I follow a guy named Dale Calder who lives on campobello island off of Maine on youtube. He last summer raised four Chantecler pullets and a cockerel and they have done quite with harsh winters, and Chanteclers are in Alaska. Bantam wise his cochins have done best with the cold and are what he uses as reliably broody hens.

Back
Top Bottom