for newbie duck owners like me (care sheet for ducks)

Quote:
Do you know what kind of chicks she has? I might be interested too
big_smile.png

DH didn't think to ask that.
roll.png
Here's the number: 860-647-7390. It says leave message. She was there when DH called. Let me know what she says??

So I'm reading all I can find on Blue Swedish. Are they fairly calm? Nosiy vs quiet? I know they're larger than Khakis but if I'm only getting two or three would they eat that much more? Will they be likely to fly over my fence? Are they big swimmers?
Off to do more research..........
big_smile.png

I got 2 blue swedish from my order from MMH, and so far they are the biggest. I have had adults before and as far as I know they don't fly, and are pretty quiet. They are also really pretty with their big white bibs. I think they would make a good choice if you can't find any khakis.

Thanks! I just read on someone else's site that they can be loud. Sigh. I think I'm just going to have accept the fact that ducks aren't going to be quiet no matter what breed I get! And as we got to think about it last week, three ducks are probably not going to be any louder than the 19 chickens we may end up with by this summer!

Quote:
LOL< don't think it didn't cross my mind! But I think the Pekins and Rouens are bigger than I want. I'm seriously thinking of getting two of her blue swedish and then seeing if TSC gets any khakis. And Salem may still come through. Sheesh, I'm going to end up with 5 brooders at this rate!

Quote:
LOL< don't think it didn't cross my mind! But I think the Pekins and Rouens are bigger than I want. I'm seriously thinking of getting two of her blue swedish and then seeing if TSC gets any khakis. And Salem may still come through. Sheesh, I'm going to end up with 5 brooders at this rate!

haha. I think that blue swedish are bigger then pekins, well atleast my baby's are almost as big as my pekin! haha. Roens are pretty big, but they are pretty. And it's an addiction, we'll never stop.
lau.gif

Quote:

haha. I think that blue swedish are bigger then pekins, well atleast my baby's are almost as big as my pekin! haha. Roens are pretty big, but they are pretty. And it's an addiction, we'll never stop.
lau.gif

According to Storey's the Pekins are a large breed and Swedish are only Medium. Only a few pounds difference anyway. It really needs to be about the better personality in the end. I think I'll call her myself tomorrow and see exactly what she has and how old they are etc. If I'm getting any I want to enjoy their early days when they are too cute for words!

Rouens and pekins may be bigger, but they are soo mellow and easy going. Very compatable with the other critters. I also have the White Golden Hybrid from metzer Farms, and they are a little more high energy and a lot sillier.

I went and got two Blue Swedish. She only had four of them left so I left her with a pair. She had one Rouen left I think and lots of Pekins. They all came from MMH. She had lots of chicks from them and was up front about sick ones. Most of hers are okay.
So even though I posted pics of them on their own thread I just wanted to say thanks again for starting this post Stevie.

Back
Top Bottom