For Poultry shows...if I clip the feathers around the vent, does that "lessen" my birds chances

SuburbanSue

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Emerson, New Jersey
when I enter her in a poultry show? The vent area is really poopy and I was gonna trim the feathers back there. We are entering a show on May 19. Do they judge "that" or are they just looking at the standards? I could bathe them but nights are still cold and I don't want to have to blow dry 3 chicken butts today. lol. Andy help is appreciated.

I would not clip that area. I don't know if you will lose points but if the competition is tight, you will lose points as your chicken will have less fluff there. you still have time but the sooner you get that poop off and the area cleaned up the better she will look for the show.

No Cutting or Clipping! Judge will not even look at your bird if its missing its feathers. For show birds , you need to keep them in the cleanest enviroment, as possible. I bathe my birds every two weeks, using Adams Flea and tick Shampoo, Be careful not to use around the head of the bird! Blow Dry, then put under heat lamp for an hour, until totally dried. Beaks and toe Nails need to be trimmed.
3 days before the show, bathe, blow dry, and keep in a clean cage with fresh water and feed.
Day of show take some baby wipes to clean feet and what ever else needs to be cleaned.
DO NOT USE ANY SHAMPOO THAT HAS A DYE IN IT.
HOPE THIS HELPS! :)

thank you soooo much. Looks like me and my kids will be bathing their behinds tomorrow, lol. I had a feeling I shouldn't do it. Thanks for your help.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom