For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Poor girls. :(

I first read this thread when it was new last year; it really helped me prepare for my girls' first molts. So far, only one is molting. I got a big surprise when I went in the coop that first morning!! You all describe it just right- like the aftereffects of a giant pillow fight! She looks scraggy right now, but never lost big sections of feathers at once.

All my girls were losing weight prior to me worming them this fall. They're all recovering now-- except for her. Is weight loss/reduced appetite normal for molting hens?

Glad I found this thread! Someone asked a question a little earlier, wondering if their chicken's symptoms were due to moulting or if it was something else. I've had that same issue with our moulting chicken. In addition to moulting she's quieter, not eating as much, goes to bed earlier, and just seems uncomfortable. Till she started moulting she was extremely healthy and busy. I'm really hoping that's all it is. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your expertise!

Yep, that all part of molting. I can't imagine it's very comfortable with all those pins sticking out. I know mine don't like to be touched when they are molting.

My biggest Buff orpington always has hard molts like that. When she's dropped most of them and before you can see many pin feathers I call her "Zombie Chicken" cause that's kinda how she looks LOL.

Here are this year's contender's for the worst molt:

My original hatchery BR, getting herself oven ready:

And of course, my buttercup again.  Buttercups look positively horrid when they molt.  She just started molting, so she may get worse.
:gig

Oh that barred rock.. That's just sad!

I don't have any bad molting birds yet, but I have frizzled birds this year - my male is 4 years old (got him in April) - I've heard they go through terrible molts...? I can't wait :D - does that sound cruel? :lol: I just want to be able to contribute to this thread in terms of molting pictures ;)

This might have already been answered, but how long does it take for them to grow their feathers back? I got a barred rock 2 months ago, and she was already molting when I got her. It doesn't seem like new feathers are comming in. She also still lays an egg ever day, is this normal?

Lizzane - Yes, she's molting.

aoxa - I', the same, I love seeing them molt. It fascinates me. Be sure to share your pics! Frizzles are the worst molters!

Last edited:
Sorry for reviving such and old and gigantic thread, but I went into full panic tonight when I realized my 2 year old Barred Rock lost her hair! I immediately told my husband, "I think we have to do our first cull." My 8-year-old said, "Nah, she's just molting.

I think she's right. But I want your opinion.

FYI, I paniced because we've been fighting all kinds of craziness here. I've had some sick chickens. THey seem to be recovering, but there are so many horror stories out there that I am not 100 percent certain.

Anyway, here she is below. The pics don't show the bare spots well. There are patches everywhere, including her fluffity bottom. Her tail has vanished.

Please tell me this is just a molt.

Oh, and what's up with that head? Her head's looked like that since June.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom