For those interested in Breeding and or Exhibiting ABA/APA birds only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should just move on to what we CAN post. JMO

Good idea. This will be it for me.

If I was on a family friendly site that relates to dog breeding, I would expect that the word "grump" would be used, but would not be surprised to see "cock" filtered out, as "grump" is here. I've never heard people that do not breed and show purebred dogs refer to female dogs as "grump." It is not a commonly used term among the general public. "Cock" is not common, but is less uncommon than is "grump."

As I said, you have an interesting take on things. Educated exhibitors frequently compare and contrast their fancy with those of other species, and so discussing one is appropriate when discussing the other. BYC has areas to discuss other species as well. By no means are they prohibited from being discused, so it's all relevant, following your convoluted line of thought. Just about every member of the public owns or knows someone who owns a dog. A very small percentage even know a single person who owns chickens. It baffles me how you can believe that cock might come up more in general conversation than the word for a female dog, but then we don't seem to be able to think along the same lines anyway. You seem to have a need to get in the last word, so have at it. This will be the last from me about these terms. Looking forward to sensible discusion about breeding APA and ABA recognized exhibition birds.​

As somone said earlier (and I'm not going back to find who it was) You start at the beginning of the thread and read all the posts just to find out you have not learned anything. I thought this thread was here to help for those interested in breeding and exhibiting. I have learned nothing about this topic. How did it get onto dogs?
I am a newbie and enjoy learning but it seems a lot of these threads start out with good intentions but then gets on tangents of nothing to do with the topic.

Can maybe we start over on the original subject?

for self blues what do you look for in their colorartion for she? is it a single slate/gray looking color with no other color in with it or is there hints of another color for the show birds. can someone post pics of there showable self blues?

Quote:
Patricia you should come over on the California thread once in a while too. Since you're interested in showing there's a list of close shows in the first post.

OK looks like we have a topic.

I have only one self blue, an OEGB and I'd like to have more, just not sure if I have the room for another breed and if this one is even a he or she. LOL Then you also have to look at quality, which I don't think I have a chance with this chick, so I hope someone has something they own that they'll post.

Quote:
Self means one single solid color, alone, no other color(s) mixed in, as in, by itself. This term is almost universal in meaning among animal exhibitors, whether you're talking about poultry, rabbits, tropical fish or others. For the color description of self blue, see the APA or the ABA Standards.

I am pretty sure this is the color you mean.

102350_09-03-11_1839.jpg

Quote:

Quote:
Right. That's what I'm hoping to purchase soon. Although I didn't realize the 2011 version was already available. That's good to know. I want to get a color version of the APA, but I heard it was quite pricey, so I'll have to wait till AFTER Christmas as all my extra cash has gone to the kids' Christmas!
smile.png
I was hoping in the meantime to find a link or something that lists the standards for a lf cochin. More so for type/conformation than for any specific color. Does that make any sense? I'm such a noob when it comes to what makes a cochin "show quality". But, it's extremely important to me that I strive for birds that meet the APA's Standard of Perfection. Sadly, I've learned the hard way that not everyone claiming to have "show quality" birds, actually does and its cost me a small fortune and a lot of disappointment in finding this out. I wish everyone could just be honest about what they have and not simply concerned with making a buck.

I don't know if its been done, but I think it would be great if some of the breeders that actually have show quality birds could post a thread that lists all the things a newbie should be looking for and what questions they should always ask BEFORE purchasing birds/eggs. Just a thought.
smile.png

I would buy the best birds of the breed/variety you can afford.Forget FORGET about starting with mail order hatching eggs or chicks. In many cases the sellers definition of Show quality is different from expectations. Even with better birds there are no guarantees just much better odds. When I started with exhibition quality birds I did research and found the best breeder of my color in my Breed.

OK. I'm lost.

The Standard of Perfection is well worth the purchase price. It's a beautiful book, with a multitude of beautiful color plates and a stitched binding.

There is a lot of information in the SOP that one needs to show and to raise exhibition poultry. There are general disqualifications, definitions, info about judging, and other useful information.

There are places where serious breeders hang out on-line and chat, but it isn't BYC.

There are places where serious breeders hang out on-line and chat, but it isn't BYC.

Agreed. There is an entirely different priority here, a different mentality.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom