For those interested in Breeding and or Exhibiting ABA/APA birds only

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I have to say that the show dog information isn't correct either. LOL What I posted is correct. You just misunderstood it. Read it again. I have also bred and shown dogs for many years.

Having shown and bred dogs for over 40 years now and being 'bred" hehe into a show and breeding family I always cringe when someone says, you only breed show dogs to get show dogs. Not always the case and not always the case they show be totally show quality. As I wrote, no it is not always the case. Chihuahuas are a case in point. Often you'll use a large non-show quality grump to produce litters of (hopefully) some show quality dogs. There are a few other examples, and the rare instance in which non-show quality dogs may produce something nice, but they are uncommon or even very rare. There are even grand champions who were not bred from show quality dogs, but there's a lot that goes into doing that. Still, I have know many many people who never got a show pup, from any combination of breeding to only show dogs. That's a completely different issue. No one ever said that all or even most puppies bred from show quality parents will be show quality, but as a rule you do not produce show dogs from non-show dogs. Just sayin!

The way things change over the years, once you seem to figure out the lingo, the lingo changes with everything. I find it kind of irratating when newbies show up here and are coached by other newbies, who have learned from someone who hasn't got a clue when they give information. I see so many of them taking dangerous or unsafe advice when asking questions about their birds. Not saying that someone coming on these boards for the first time don't know what they are talking about, but most have asked the same questions, just a few days to a month before, taken the wrong info as correct and then passed it off. I agree with this. Facts don't change simply because you choose not to believe them..

I didn't realize that this site is so puritanical in nature that one can't even use the proper term for a female dog in a sensible discussion without offending.

Quote:
You can always look on the breed's club sites and copy out what you need.

Not for long. That has been reported to the APA as a breach of their copyright.

Quote:
You can always look on the breed's club sites and copy out what you need.

Not for long. That has been reported to the APA as a breach of their copyright.

At least the information is there to read though. And you can't pass around copy written materials.

I did reread and I see what you're saying now. Corrected and hands slapped. LOL

Quote:
I say this point very seriously -- You will learn the most and the quickest if you will study at least one breed of each type and use the Standard. By this I mean - large fluffy, medium tight-feathered, meat breed, egg breed, "hairy" or ornamental, etc., and get a "feel" for how form follows function.
It will teach you how to interpret the standard and the basis of some of the dialogue. When you first learn to study the breeds, if you start with your own you tend to look at the standard and lean toward making it fit your birds -- make sense? Then you will start using sayings like "well, in d'Uccle the .... fill in the blank ... is different" without a foundation of Chickens in general. Very limiting to your ability to take in and use real information as it comes to you =:~)

I was glad when I got the new edition of SOP because I was wearing the old one thin. I didn't even have chickens before I had gone thru the book -- too extreme, I know, but just saying a good foundation builds a better chicken house =:~)

k/

too little time, too little $$$, not enough chickens

Quote:
It might make sense if dog showing and breeding were a common topic on here, and if the term was not a common & derogaratory slang word. But as it is, I think that in the interest of remaining a family friendly POULTRY site, disallowing its use is pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Excuse me, but I don't even know another term for female dog -- The Brits do like their dogs/grump and cocks/hens and love the art of breeding and competing with both!!! What would be the problem? I don't mean to be confrontational but I don't understand your post -- sorry.

regards,

k/

Quote:
It might make sense if dog showing and breeding were a common topic on here, and if the term was not a common & derogaratory slang word. But as it is, I think that in the interest of remaining a family friendly POULTRY site, disallowing its use is pretty reasonable.

I don't believe in sheltering children from facts. I believe in teaching them what is right and wrong from the start. It's this kind of denial that causes people to think of terms like this in a negative way in the first place. Discussing the differences and similarities between the fancies is certainly within the intent of this thread. By your thinking, cock is also used as a common and derogatory slang word, and so should be disallowed here. I do know that a lot of people can't even stand the thought of saying it without blushing, due to their own insecurities, preferring to use instead, baby talk like "roo". IMO, that is sad that they have to dumb down things like that, instead of striving to be proper and correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom