For those of you don't vote....

I have never missed voting since I was 18 years old and I have on three ocassions utilized my right to vote for the candidate of my choice...I did write-ins. The candidate I felt was most qualified was not on the ballot but they got my vote anyway.

Where the presidential elections are concerned...my vote really does not count because it is decided by the electroal college, which should be abolished as it serves no purpose any longer, but I still cast my vote.

There is my 2 cents worth

Quote:
How rude! Did you even read what I wrote? I did not imply that reading a page or two makes you an informed voter. What I DID say was it is quite easy to formulate and opinion of their BASIC platform by doing a quick and easy search, if you can't be bothered to do anything else (which is obviously the part I left in an effort to be kind). It's not how I choose, but it's probably better than nothing.

Last edited:
Quote:
This lack of education is what got a dead woman incumbent voted into office last night. I talked with all the young adult at my place to LEARN, ASK, VOTE.

Yup!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
This lack of education is what got a dead woman incumbent voted into office last night. I talked with all the young adult at my place to LEARN, ASK, VOTE.

Yup!
thumbsup.gif

I try to encourage them to have all the facts, research, and THEN make an informed decision. Sara finally agreed with me last night because she didn't know what the offices were, what the seats were, who the people that were voted in or out were. I explained my views and reasoning to her and then told her to go ahead and do some research and let me know where she stands. She just turned 21 and has never voted.

Quote:
Yup!
thumbsup.gif

I try to encourage them to have all the facts, research, and THEN make an informed decision. Sara finally agreed with me last night because she didn't know what the offices were, what the seats were, who the people that were voted in or out were. I explained my views and reasoning to her and then told her to go ahead and do some research and let me know where she stands. She just turned 21 and has never voted.

thumbsup.gif

I think alot of people that do vote dont have all the facts or dont know exactly what it is they are voting for.. which can sometimes be as bad as not voting..but I'd rather someone not vote than to have them vote and just picking something because they dont know or understand what it is they are voting on..

Everyone has their reasons for voting or not voting and its their choice I dont look down on them for not..

Quote:
How do you figure this?!?

It takes money to run a campaign--any campaign. And anything above the very local level means tv time to get the word out. The only folks who can afford that are the ones who get large "contributions", so how can they possibly do what is best for the voters over what is best for the special interest who helped to get them elected if they ever want to get reelected? The ONLY way to change that is to set controls over what can be spent in a campaign and nobody WHO IS ALREADY IN OFFICE is going to vote to implement that!

The system is broken and until we fix IT, it won't matter WHO gets elected because the cycle will just keep repeating itself.

Rusty

It's not how I figure. Just think about the tiny percentage that actually vote. Now go way back and get all the eligible people that can vote to vote. Just saying that if the turnout were better from the beginning, the quality would be better. Will it ever be that way? Probably not. My thing was just a food for thought. If awareness was better from the get go, we would probably be in a better spot as a country than we are today.

Thought I would add about the system being broken. I agree. George washington, on his deathbed warned against forming separate political parties. He said it would divide the government and not benefit the people. Almost directly after he died, separate parties were formed. They didn't believe him I am guessing. From what I saw in the news last night it was like watching the NFL draft. Seeing who would get the better team. To eliminate this party system and also rid of big corporate lobbyists would probably be our best bet. Now I feel like I have said something. I really would like to see this thread make it for awhile, these are just my opinions. I don't want them forced on anyone or anything of.the sort. I also don't claim to know it all if anyone thinks that I am trying to be that way I apologize in advance. Have a nice day all
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I was required to take government in high school, and it was quite in depth. Is that not the case anymore?

I voted in my first election when I was 18. As part of our high school government course we were expected to volunteer for a political campaign. It did matter which party, or whether it was local, state or federal level.

Hereby dating myself....

The candidate I volunteered for lost his race largely due to Carter's extremely early concession. It makes me a firm believer that polls should be open for the same time period all across the country; perhaps starting at 7 am EST and ending at 9 pm AST or Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time.

It seems like the most common reason not to vote here is that people feel that it makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom